Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark White (Spin Doctors) bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jun 30, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Can anyone tell me the bass Mark White used to play in the Spin Doctors before he switched to the Ibanez ATK (Now using a Musicman). It was the plain black one, that looked like it had a graphite neck. I think it was a custom bass? it kinda looked like a GMT jazz bass? If you look at the back cover of the Homebelly Grove cd you will see him playing it.

2. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
  3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive seen him use a Jazz on SNL.

4. The bass I used before the Ibanez was a custom jazz bass with a musician pickup between the two jazz pickups. I had that bass made because the graphite neck sounded too much like plastic. So I went to 48th street guitars and asked somebody what was the best wood to offset that plastic sound. They told me mahogany, so I went with that. After he made the body I took the thing over to Rudy's music stop and had Mas Hino put it together with a khaler whammy bar. The only problem with that bass is that it weighs a ton

later
    mark white

T. Brookins likes this.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool!

Hey wassup? I dig your playin, I just had "POCKET FULL OF KRYPTONITE" in the other night. It's a great disk

6. hey
    Well the Spins are back together for starters, we just wrote some new tunes up in Canada (the guitar player lives there). We also just finished a small summer tour, later on this year we should be working on a CD and touring some more

take care
    mark white

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yea I'd read you guys hooked back up (I'm glad Chris got his pipes back... that dude is real), I can't wait to check out some new stuff!

I'd planned on heading to 6 flags in NJ to check out the show, but I was in the hospital (I'm better now). I'll try to catch ya next go around.

Good luck with it all, tell the rest of the band "some guy from the internet says Thanks for the tunes!"

I'm gonna go pull out your disks again now.

Later
    James

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    :eek:

nothin like gettin the info from the source, eh?!

thanks for coming man, the fact that even "real" bassists post here prove that TB is the best website on the internet :)

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    man you were a big influence when kryptonyte came out. thanks for posting and good luck with the new material. consider this one album sold! lol

10. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    WOW!! Mark u da man!!!!

I wonder if he is still using his Ibanez ATK (Custom bass) or has he switched?

Can't wait to hear the new Spin's Cd!!!!!!!

Adios!!!!

11. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Check his profile for gear he uses....

12. I use that ATK bass all the time, I just did the last tour with it, by the way, I only bring out one bass for a tour. Of course everybody hates that.

take care
    mark

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    do you have pictures of that ATK bass?

i would love to see that one (I have one... not custom though)

14. i'll take some when I get back home and send them to you. I also have a musicman bass painted the same way.

take care
    mark white

15. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Hey Mark,

There talking about you again. What does that say about ratings.

I just wanted to say thanks.

Brandin

16. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Is that the bass in the "Two Princes" video? sounds like an interesting pickup config.

Glad to hear the Spin Doctors are back together. man, i grew up to that music. :) Hope i can catch a show if you guys come out my way.

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Awesome! It's great to hear that even pros dig simple workhouse basses that aren't custom-made/don't cost a ton. Makes me <3 my ATK even more. Mark, what do you think of the big fat neck, by the way? Do you feel it hinders your playing? Also, what do you think of their sound compared to the 'real thing', i.e. the 'Ray?

18. Well I’m sorry to say that my ATK has some custom stuff, the neck on my bass was modeled after a modulus graphite neck, which was my best friend for a good ten years. It also has a whammy bar.
    I also didn’t want the bass to look like furniture so I had a custom paint job. On the old fender jazz basses there used to be this screw at the neck body joint, and when you turned it, it would tilt the neck so you could get a nice straight line with the strings and the neck. So I put that little jammy on my ATK. I also added a jazz pick up, which I never use, since the ATK pickup sounds way better.

And the best thing about this bass is the whole thing is maple. I never could get why the body and neck where made from two different woods, so I asked for all maple, and I think that's why this bass rings out so nice and clean. A very passionate bass player in Italy said it sounded like heavenly strings. I do have some musicman basses, one is a main bass and the others I use for recording, and they have all kinds of crazy strings on them. They sound pretty good for musicmans, I think they are way overpriced like most of the stuff out there today (don’t get me started!!)

have a good one!!
    Later
    Mark White

T. Brookins likes this.
  19. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Hey Mark,

havent heard from you in a while.
    Just sent you an email.

20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mark White is one HECK of a bass player:)

T. Brookins likes this.