1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Winchester Setup

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by DukeCC, Mar 6, 2019.

1. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Does anybody know anything about Mark Winchester's setup?

I was watching the Rockabilly Riot video last night and I couldn't really tell for sure. It looked like the amp might have been a Fender Bassman, the cabinet an 8 x 10. Natural color. The bass? I think I heard that he plays a Kay. This one was reinforced for bass stands/tricks.

He definitely had the f-holes stuffed. I couldn't tell exactly how. I would guess some kind of extruded black foam like I used to seal around the edge of a bathroom laminate floor. I didn't see a cable running to the fingerboard, but it looked like there was something mounted underneath. The bridge pickup looked like it might have been a wing pickup. The was no box on the tailpiece, but there were 2 boxes mounted at the very bottom. I assume a preamp and wireless.

I did a little searching, but I didn't find anything yet.

Max George likes this.
  2. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    You may be able to ask Mark himself. A lot of guys are on facebook now and you may be able to ask him through there.:thumbsup:

Hoyt likes this.
  3. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    If it was at Rockabilly Riot, that Fender was probably just backlined.

Only two companies make or have made “reinforced” basses to my knowledge; King Doublebass/Blast Cult and Upton.

The two boxes on the bottom could be a preamp and a wireless, but they could also have been two transmitters as you don’t necessarily need a preamp for the piezos (clicky & fingerboard) with a wireless unit.

And I second asking him on FB. I got to meet him once and he was super nice.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  4. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    Actually, after checking out a few other YouTube videos, it looks to be a blonde Kay complete with the old coat hanger tailgut. I think Setzer gets backlined Fender amps, so that explains why Mark is playing one.

It’s hard to see, but it looks like there’s a very thin wire for the clicky running up to the fingerboard which explains the two transmitters. On most modern dual input Fender amps (active/passive) you can run two inputs simultaneously. He probably runs the bridge to one input and the clicky to the other.

Youngspanion likes this.
  5. I know this is an old thread, but I just saw it.
    I have played with Mark years ago, and played
    his bass.
    I have an old band mate who is the drummer on
    the Brian Setzer gig as well.

Mark’s bass was just a Kay and Underwood rig.
    His amp was nothing special, was provided by the
    Emmy Lou Harris tour.

So now, on the gig, my guess would be it is also
    just provided. Hasn’t Brian had a few different guys?

I doubt Mark brings his own bass out, but maybe?
    Guess my point is, Mark’s great sound probably has
    to do with him being a good bass player, good sound
    crew, as much as any gear.

But if you are still wondering, I’d be happy to ask them.

6. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I was just seeing some things I couldn't quite explain. No need to make too much of a fuss about it, I would say, lol!
    Very true about the player being the root of the sound. I spend too much time/money trying to compensate for poor playing AND poor equipment with ONLY 'better' equipment! Should spend that time practicing, for sure!

7. Amen to that, brother!

Mark’s a great bassist, and sings,
    songwrites,and plays guitar.

We did a cover idea in Nashville,
    Petty Cash (tom and Johnny).

Got a break early on, joining the Nash Ramblers(Emmy Lou).
    Was one of the only string bass players around at the time.

Went out for the first Setzer Orchestra tour and record.

Fun hanging with him, practicing,sharing stories.

Nice guy, one of the good guys!
    From South Carolina I think.

8. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Petty Cash--Genius! And a great combo to boot!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021