1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass 102p Combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 10, 2012.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Hey guys, I currently own a great Markbass 102p traveler cab, and I had a couple of questions as to what would go well with it.

I was thinking about stacking another 102p since I love this cab SO MUCH...vertically that is. On that note, what do you guys think about the stability of two of them stacked vertically. They do have the grooved corners that interlock about probably a quarter inch, but I'm not sure how that'd hold up in case of accidents. Mind you I don't play thrash and don't jump around, but will incidental movement and vibration have effect on the two cabs?

I really like the sound of a 112 cab or a 212 cab, but can't seem to find something by Markbass that'd fit it. I'm not specific to Markbass, but I love the portability and sound that comes to through that cab!

Best regards,

Brooks

2. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have 2 traveler cabs but I have never stacked them vertically. I love the way they sound through my PF-500.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think another of the same cab would be great.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2 matched cabs will ALWAYS sound better than 2 mixed cabs.

5. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Does anyone have a sonic opinion on stacking two 210s? BY THE WAY!!!! Just found out Markbass has a traveler 121h rear-ported 112 speaker cab that could go with the 102p, now only if I can find one used =/.

Best regards,

Brooks

6. TB wisdom dictates getting a second identical cab.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    What's the wisdom on using two cabs that have the same size speakers, but different size cabs, even different brands? In this case, like adding a Traveler 210 to the Standard 210? Or adding, say, a GK 210 to a Markbass 210? Or should it be REALLY identical?

8. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Hey Russell, from my experience, you could create a unique, yet slight voicing blend. It could be good and it could be bad based on how the speakers, the internal wiring and the enclosure handles the frequencies and the signal from your amp head. Before I scaled down to my Markbass LMII + 102p, I was running an Acoustic b410 & Warwick 115pro under it. It had booming tone and I liked it a lot. Got rid of it because I couldn't stand lugging a fully-blown stack to small gigs to achieve the balance and tone that I wanted to achieve.

Sidenote: I did find out that Markbass does manufacture a 121hr cabinet!!! It's in the traveler's series so it does mean that I could pair it with the 102p if I really wanted to!!! I wish I could try it out because I've played multiple 112 cabs and they all are a little different.

Best regards,

Brooks

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2 identical cabs will provide a known quantity. 2 mixed cabs, even 2 different 2x10's, are an unknown. It could sound great, it could suck. There's no way to predict.

10. This kills!

Attached Files:

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ever try stacking them vertically?

12. I have not tried that.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    They say stacking vertically will help it to disperse better horizontally. Plus, you can hear the top cab better.