1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 102P vs EA NL210

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by porpy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. porpy

porpy

May 30, 2007
    I am looking at possibly buying one of these, as they are a similar price here in Australia.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the differences between these two cabs?
    I will be using it with an AI Focus

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've played both with a Focus III, although admittedly not side by side. I liked the NL210 so much better than the Markbass that I hardly know where to start. The EA sounded open and tight, where the Markbass sounded boxy and wooly because of a strange bump in the lower mids. Imagine if Polytone made a 210 cabinet, and that's how the Markbass struck me. It might sound good for BG, but I didn't like it for DB at all. I'd love to own an NL210, but can't really justify it since I like the speakers I have for what I do.

3. porpy

porpy

May 30, 2007
    I certainly like the sound of the NL210 that is posted on the basstasters web site.
    The idea is to use a whizzy 10 on quiter gigs and then pair it with the 2x10 box when I have to do stupid loud gigs - stupid loud is really stupidly loud for me so I just ordered a biesele pickup as well.

I think I will order the NL210 and then go into the shop with the Markbass stuff and do a side by side (the NL210 retailer has a 2 week return policy)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 the 102P is crazy light and very compact, and I like it fairly well on electric bass, but it doesn't really shine on DB. The NL-210 doubles very well, IME/IMHO, and is just a killer enclosure.

Tom.

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    While this is only my observation and opinion....

I went on a fairly extensive search for the perfect cabinet that could double for both DB and BG, cost not being a factor. Hands down the NL210 came out on top. Not only as a doubler but as my 1st choice for a medium sized DB cabinet. This is for it's sound, the size and weight are just a huge bonus.

That all being said the MB 102P which I've only auditioned with BG and not DB was not memorable in any regard. From what I do remember it's small, light and sounds just ok.

The Focus will be a perfect match for that cabinet IMO although I am not fond of the Focus with a BG.....

6. porpy

porpy

May 30, 2007
    I am counting on the focus to give me a flat uncoloured sound.
    I always run my electric through my laptop using some of the various amp sims that are available in software. The sound is great through a PA but through my old Hartke amp/peavey quad, there was just too much coloration of the sound going on to be usable.

So I am figuring that amp sim into clean amp will be a good combo