1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 104HF - thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Jul 15, 2014.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have never played a Markbass amp. I have a chance to trade for a Markbass 104HF (already posted to the Markbass club thread, but no answers). Feedback on this cab? I am playing with Fender/Fender style basses with Rotosound Swing bass strings.

Thanks.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I loved mine, typical Markbass voicing, so a low-mid bump. I loved mine when playing jazz on my jaco, it paired extremely well. Lightweight, reliable, and easily cuts through a mix due to it's inherent voicing. I am more into flat-response stuff, so I replaced it with a fEARful and never looked back, but I do miss it.

I wouldn't pay more than $600 for one to give you an idea of value.

3. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I have a chance to trade my Trace Elliot rig, which I value at about $700. I was hoping to get 2 2x10s, which would give me more flexibility.

4. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    By low mid bump, I assume more old school than modern scooped sound, right?

5. Eh... I dont know about that.

You should play it. That will let you know if it is for you.

MB cabs are not for me, but your tonal goals are your own.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I wouldn't call it old school but it is nowhere near scooped sounding.

7. I've always been intrigued by Mark Bass gear too and if it is really worth the usually higher prices it's marked with. I hear a lot of good things and some not good things but to each their own. My problem is I hate the color yellow...yeah that's a legit problem!

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I don't like the styling, but if it sounds good and is a fair trade for my rig, I'll deal with it.

9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    [​IMG] 110272983 BASS AMP Standard 104HF 800W 4X10
    Used Markbass Standard 104HF 800W 4X10 Bass Cabine
    [​IMG]
    Details ยป
    Amps
    Guitar Center Cincinnati
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
    513-671-4555
    View Store's Used Inventory
    Contact Store
    Now Only

$599.99

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I had a 104HF and it was one of the best sounding cabs that I've had. It's not scooped at all, not hi-fi either. I thought it sounded like a traditional cab. The only reason I sold it was b/c it was really more cab than I could use on most of my gigs (and the person that bought it could use it).

11. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I'm one of the oddballs that likes the black & yellow...

Soundwise:
    not quite enough grind for me - I'm favouring Bergantino cabs at the moment, but I always thought it sounded good in a mix (much better than solo) & had some decent punch - if that means anything... I was running it with a LittleMark II / III (still one of my favourite heads)

Some Markbass artists get great tone from their gear - Caron / Bona / Feraud / Kennedy - but they're not going for a "rock" tone...

12. DiabolusInMusic

You can always get old school Markbass gear if you don't like yellow. I had an old 6x10 with black drivers, it was voiced differently than other Markbass cabinets.

I am a big fan of their amps, but their cabinets are not for everybody. I totally get why people might not enjoy them.

@Pazzo, I got a decent rock tone out of mine but I cannot even think of any big name rock artists off hand that use Markbass. I know the bassist from Behemoth uses Markbass, but they are a little bit heavier than traditional rock.

13. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Yeah, the cab can definitely rock & I always liked it best with "aggressive" sounding basses - Spector or some of my Active Jazz's... It's definitely a quality piece of gear & somehow sits better in a mix than I think it should... It's just a little too "polite"

14. I have one of the old school models and I love it.

15. I bought Freddels 104HF. It is simply one of the best cabs I have heard. I've had it maybe six months...no problems, great sound and the sucker is really light. I'm not too sure why this model doesn't get more love on TB. I've heard them described as sterile or without balls. I couldn't disagree more. It is very responsive to the amp. You can make it do pretty much anything in my opinion.

It was a great buy. Definitely no complaints here.

And thanks for the sale, Freddels!

John

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Hey John, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I do miss the tone of that cab but it really was too big for many of the venues that I play.