1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 112 vs 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by senorblues, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I have a New York 121 not yet a year old. Its great but I think I would like the 15 better.

Has anyone compared the two and is there a worthwhile difference?

Would Guitar Center give me a decent deal for a trade in?

2. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada

3. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I can't comment on the cabs but I did own the Markbass CMD 121P and 151P combos. The 121P is a pretty amazing little combo but I preferred the 151P for its fuller, deeper sound. It felt louder too, probably because it was moving a bit more air, a larger box, etc.

My experience is that retail stores rarely give you good value on a trade in. You may want to ask them, then see what you can get selling privately on TB or eBay. Do a search for previous NY121 sales on TB (and/or eBay) to get an idea on its street value.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have the 121H combo. It is the same as yours, but with a bigger cab. I just added a 151P cab to it, with my goal being two 151Ps and a separate head, eventually. The single 12 in my combo would easily clank if I slapped a note with any amount of bottom to it. If I ran flat, though, and didn't plop my hand on the strings it will get very loud. However, with the 151P cab added it is a different animal. What a difference!!! I can hear more lows, even running flat. I tried the 15 alone and found that it didn't complain as the 12 did if I slapped the strings. I could also get the 15 alone about as loud as both speakers together. Part of that is due to the 15's sensitivity being 100 db as opposed to the 12's 99db. You can hear the difference. Anyway, the 15 seems to want to do what I want it to better than the 12. I'm going back to two 15s as a result, far as I can tell at this point. I know the 12/15 combination isn't matched, but it sounds fine as long as I don't overwork the 12. Played last night with a VERY, VERY loud band and never put the master past 11:30 with the gain at 2:00.

With that said, you might also be surprised to hear what two 12s would be like. Folks say they do well. If you go that way, I'd recommend the 121H cab due to its depth, unless you have anything restraining you from the extra size and weight.

Let me also say that I have heard folks say that the Markbass cab are more hifi, mid-sounding, and not as full on the lows. So far, though, I seem to have plenty of low, and that is with the eq flat and the VLE and VPF filters off. Last night I tried putting the VPF at just 9:00. In mid-song I turned it back off and could hear my tone cutting back through the mix. It really is true that scooping your mids is a sure way for your sound to get lost in the mix. I ran flat all night and could always hear myself, even with this super loud drummer and too much lows on all the drums (I hate that). Yes, I was in the mains, too, but I couldn't tell from where I was. In my place it was all about hearing my amp.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone can chime in about using two 12s better than I can. But personally, I'm digging this 15 sound.

5. I went to GC & was disappointed with their trade in offer. The New York 115 sure sounds better than the 12 but no way was it worth $350 with my trade in.

I tried the 2 12s together and YES. Right. Full sound. More power. Had to buy. Happy now. Thanks guys.

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Didn't realize you would consider going with two cabs. Yes, two 12s will do the trick, very nicely. Congrats.