1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 115 keyb*ard question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fnsweeeet, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Have a Markbass 115 (Jeff Berlin non-tweeter version), wondering if it is suitable as a keyboard amp. Would it do harm or sound good?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Back in the day we just tried it and that gave us the answer.

Hmmm, still not a bad way to find out.

3. insightful

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I realize in a world of hopeless internet hand wringers who can't read a manual unless it's quoted from in a forum that my view on this seems rather old fashioned ; }

5. im a big fan of plug it in and screw with it and see if it works IF there is no potential to be out a thousand bucks. but since im unsure of the ability of a pretty expensive and fantastic-sounding piece of equipment to handle things that are not covered in the manual, i figured id see if anyone had anything constructive to say.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yeah, it's real tough to turn all gains/volume all the way down before turning on, and then knudging it up slowly to see what's what. I imagine hot-plugging preamp ins and outs, and ins and outs on various inline processing, and power amp inputs and speakers would give many a case of hives, but I've done it a gazillion years and never had a problem ; }

I guess knowing in general how stuff works really is worth something for these kinds of instances.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's fine, just plug it in and let it rip.

8. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    do you feel like an idiot yet? :rollno:

fnsweet... you *shouldnt* be able to hurt anything as long as a little common sense is used with your gain staging. i have amped keys with all sorts of stuff, including bass and guitar amps, and have also spent a short time of my life wherein my only "bass" amp was a keyboard amp. no casualties!

the key difference between an average bass amp and an average keyboard amp that *i* see is its voicing. the bass amp *probably* has some color to it, and while a keyboard amp probably does too, you can pretty accurately assume that the designers intention was for it to be as uncolored and "clean" as possible. also, (and this is a general, blanket type statement), you might find that a bass speaker system has fairly poor full-range response, with peaks and dips, particularly in important (for keys) areas like upper midrange, as well as at the extremes of the audio spectrum. YMMV on that one though.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    A lot of keyboard combos are so close in driver choice and enclosure space that I wouldn't assume they are any more even in frequency response to a similarly outfitted bass combo.

The differences one is likely to encounter are that keyboard amps are going to be more like mixers, expecting line-level input levels and impedances, and using passive basses with them don't do that well because of this. One might also see a trend toward less default voicing, but decent EQ facilities counter that.

But the question seemed to be will something get smoked. No. Again, no!

10. now thats actually insightful. thanks.