1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 121H vs 121P

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've got the opportunity to trade up my CMD121P combo for a LMII head plus 121H cab (old tall shape like the 121H combo, not the newer wideboy).

My main reason for wanting to do so is that I use a lot of fuzz and the piezo tweeter in the 121P is kinda harsh, whereas I've heard the compression driver in the 121H is a lot smoother. Also the bigger box will give me more lows. The downside is I will miss being able to pick up and lug my entire rig in one hand, although of course I will have more flexibility in head/cab upgrades in the future.

Has anyone compared both of these cabs side by side (preferably with high freq content from some fuzz/distortion)?

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I never got to compare them side by side as they were in different shops. But I settled on the 121H cab and LMII head as the cabs tuning goes down to 40hz as opposed to 45hz of the combo. Not much but noticeable.

The tweeter is quite smooth, and is also adjustable. I'm not sure if this is possible on the 121P combo. If you want zingy high end it can handle it, and handles my marshall guv'nor well enough to my ears when distortion is required.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Well, I'm going over to try it out on Sunday, taking my fuzz with me!