1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 151HF...discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redbeard1206, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Anybody know why the front ported 1x15 Markbass cabs were discontinued? I thought about looking for one to pair with my MB 4x10 but for whatever reason they've discontinued that model and only offer the rear ported model.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    How are things in Lexington? That's my old stomping grounds...

About the cabs, I recommend adding another identical 410 instead of a MB 115. There is a long a reasonable argument as to why 410 + 410 is better than 410 + 115, but I would summarize it thus:

The MB 115 will be unable to handle the same power as the MB 410, and will actually limit performance, low end included. BTW, a few hz in the "freq response specs" from MB or most any other manufacturer is not a very meaningful measurement.

Don't worry about the disco'd cabs port position. Front and rear ports sound essentially the same. As long as you have two identical cabs in your pairing, you are fine, though the fEarful cabs present an exception. :hyper:

3. Dunno. But why a1x15 with a 410 ?
    Have you read the many threads re mixing driver sizes?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Products generally get discontinued only if they don't sell well enough to be profitable.

5. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    Ive been running a Markbass 15 under a markbass 4x10 for awhile now and have NO problems or issues whatsoever! I run an SD800 and the 15 emits great sub lows and the 4x10 punches and articulates nicely-I think its a really really nice combination..I know theres alot of talk on standardizing driver sizes but Ive tried the 10's stacked and it doesnt come close to the feel and sound of having the 15 underneath, just not the same. Im running the HRs and there IS quite a difference in the Front and Rear ported sound and projection-I found it easier to find the HRs..And thats what im rolling with-and am VERY happy with. I was a Mesa Boogie fan for years anf my FAVORITE cab was the PH1000 a 15 surrounded by 4x10's...freaking amazing-and with a markbass head on top just AWESOME..But at 130# I wanted the ease of moving lightweight cabs--HELLO MARKBASS!! Ive seen the Rear ports on Guitar Centers used site-check there!!

6. Guygrooves

Guygrooves Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Clearwater Florida
    My FAMILY.....=p

Attached Files:

7. I prefer the 151 HF's over the 151 HR's. IMO they are the better design and offer more clear deep bass than the 151 HR. I think they might of discontinued them because of the height, or maybe folks were put off by the look of the ports when they stacked the 102P on top of it. Neither of these issues ever bothered me.

Attached Files:

• 1866.jpg
      1866.jpg
      File size:
      181.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1860.jpg
      1860.jpg
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views: