1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass 151P cab ordered

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, May 17, 2011.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, after much deliberation as to what to get, I picked this one. After adding my old Trace Elliot GP7SM's 15" as an extension to my Markbass 121H combo this weekend, I think I'm headed towards a dual 115 rig with a Little Mark III. I have pined away over all the 210s, 212s, and various combinations enough already. I am so used to 15s in the past anyway. But, I'll have time to decide what to add later as I save up for the next piece. The Trace 15" sounded nice with the 121 combo. I didn't notice any phase issues, although they may have been there. Turns out the part of the Trace combo that only houses the speaker is about the same size as the Markbass 151P cab, only not quite as deep. I dunno, but I'm hoping that gives me some idea of what I'll get from the Markbass speaker.

Can't find enough reviews of the 151P cab. One guy said he hated it, but more folks said it was good for them. I've also heard that the 151HR has more botom, but it weighs more than I wanna haul. See, that was one of my points in picking this cab. I may have to give up some bottom in order to have a cab I don't mind hauling. Two of them, though, might really sound good with the LMIII. However, it will take some time to save up for the second cab and separate amp. Hey, but I have four gigs in June, and six in July.

I'm looking forward to it arriving, and I'll be sure to give a report on it. In the meantime, anyone have any comments on the cab? I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Just wanted to bump this back onto page one to see if anyone has a comment. Thanks.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Well it might have been me who hated it, although this was going back about 3 or 4 years and it was the older, square design.
    As a stand alone cab i thought it was rubbish. It was all low end and no power.
    At home it was nice but at the gigs i had to turn my MB head up so much that i just couldn't get any more out of it and it sounded very compressed.
    I exchanged it for a UL115 and it was like night and day so i know it wasn't the amp, or the venue as these were venues were were playing regularly.

Of course, this is just my opinion/experience and like you say, many others like the cab. i think it will work well with your combo, its just not great on its own.

Good luck with it.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've never used mine on it's own so I can't comment, but it works very well with my Markbass 210 combo (CMD102P) and the combination gets really loud. Of course, adding a 15 to a 210 more than doubles the effective cone area so you get a big jump in volume if you want to use it. I agree with Dave about the lows - I usually dial them out just a little when using the 210/115 setup but it's nice to have them there if you want them.

I've had the combo five years now and the extension cab about four. Here's what I wrote when I first added the cab and if anything my opinion of the setup is even higher now. ;)

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    When you say 151P are you speaking of the CMD 151P combo and not just a cab? I don't know that MB has a cab only that's called 151P (versus 151HR, Club 151) though I could be wrong.

I owned the CMD 151P combo for awhile and like it a lot. I also owned the CMD 121P and while it's an amazing box for its size, portability and volume, I preferred the CMD 151P for its additional depth and oomph. And the 18" cube design is pretty cool.

The drawback IMO are the MB piezo tweeters. I'm not a fan, which is why I ultimately got rid of both. If I were doing Markbass again I would definitely choose a config that had a horn tweeter, even if it meant buying the head and cab as separates. I never tried it but I think the CMD 121H would be a good compromise between the CMD 121P and CMD 151P combos.

Sorry if I misunderstood or misinterpreted your question.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think the OP is referring to the Traveller 151P cab.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
  8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    My bad, I forgot about the Traveler. Sorry for the derail. I'm still not a fan of their piezo tweets, regardless of the cab :) but I realize not everyone feels the same.

9. Tandrew

Tandrew

Jan 9, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    The MarkBass Traveller 151p and LMII have been my prime gigging equipment for the last 2 years sometimes w/PA support a lot of times w/o. I dig it b/c I walk to venues w/ my electric bass on my back, my laptop case (w/LMII) on my shoulder, sometimes a backpack w/effect pedals and the 151p cab in hand. So basically it has been and still is very convenient for me to show up to a gig w/all my needed equip in one nice lil' trip.
    :oops:
    Soundwise I have been satisfied with this setup I feel the lows/low mids that the cab presents tend to justify the highs coming out of my bass especially when run passive.
    The tweeter has never bothered me, but I've never run it past 3 o'clock and usually have it at 12 or will cut it depending on the room. I feel it just adds more crunch and that depending on your bass or how you set your eq you can dial in some nice highs.
    :rolleyes:
    I have paired it a couple of times w/ an Epifani UL-112 which I dug. So I can see where Dave is coming from getting that Epi 115 ... I very much dig the Little Mark paired w/the Epifani cab I tried.

Hope it all works out for you Russell L.
    Let me know if you have any questions or would like better definition of things I said.
    There are some older videos of me playing that setup w/my un-modified bass and a much younger mindset.
    :cool:
    Best.