1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass 2x 102 OR 1x 104hf

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FatPhalanges, Sep 1, 2017.

1. FatPhalanges

FatPhalanges

Jun 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    All in the title. I have a choice between getting ONE 4 ohm 104HF OR a COMBINATION of two Traveler 102Ps.

Im leaning toward the combination or 2x10s, but I want to be sure there aren't any drawbacks to going the less traditional route. Does anyone have any input on this?

MY first concern is that I would miss out on the Compression driver but is this really going to be noticeable? On paper, it looks like I will be getting essentially the same thing as the 4x10 with the added portability of separate 2x10 cabs but I would rather know for sure before dropping all that bread.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    I own a Markbass 104HF and it rocks. For a 410 cab it's surprisingly light weight. The sound is in my opinion similar to other bass heavy cabs. I love my MB 104HF. It sounds great! 21384. Here's a picture of me gigging with it about two months ago.

With all my high praise for the MB 104HF, given a choice with money not being a factor I'd choose two 210 cabs simply for modular potability

3. FatPhalanges

FatPhalanges

Jun 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Awesome! Do you think that choosing to go without the compression driver and do peizo instead would make much of a difference on the sound? Thats pretty much my only snag on it.

4. IMHO, all else being equal, a pair of 2x10s beat a (one of a kind) 4x10.

Flexibility... small gig, only need one cab? There ya go.

Portability... 2 small cabs are easier to lug around, and pack in to your Isetta.

Hear-ability... a 4x10 square configuration, cab on the ground. Sound blasting your knees.
    A couple of 2x10s stacked vertically, with all four speakers in a column, gets the sound up closer to your ears.

O O
    O O :yawn:

O :D
    O
    O
    O

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The vertical pair of 2x10 has many advantages over the square 4x10. Dispersion out into the room is a major advantage. You can hear it better and your amp’s controls are closer to eye level.

Behind me, in my avatar, is such a stack of two Acme B2 2x10 cabinets. I tried it once and never went back.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  6. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Great question. Mostly I leave mine on zero so I really don't have an opinion.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017