1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass ... a possible crossroad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scowboy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Well I have spent the last 40 or so days with my LMII and my Traveler 102P cabinet and then a Traveler 151P cabinet. The Traveler 151P is going back to Musicians Friend today for a refund because I just don't think it brings much to the table in volume or anything else.

I like my LMII as much as the next guy about 95% of the time the other 5% I wish it was more powerful. I use the LMII and Traveler 102P at least once a week in a worship setting and it really sounds like a million bucks! Again the 15" cab brought nothing to the table. I play in an informal band with 3 guitars 1 to 2 times per month and the 2x10" and the 15" just do not have enough poop to keep up and I am always pushing the rig right to the stops.

With those constraints in mind here is what I am thinking and throwing out to the masses for opinions:

1. Keep the LMII and the Traveler 102P and continue to use for worship because its portable and works great and then buy a 4 ohm Avatar 4x10 to play with the 3 guitar band or any other louder gigs. The Avatar of course would be used by itself due to the 4 ohm rating.

2. Buy another Traveler 102P and use it with my other one for the 3 guitar band. Keep in mind I love the tone sound of the Traveler 102P but I also realistically do no think it would produce enough volume for a 3 guitar band. Anyone chime in here I am attracted to the modularity of this scenario.

3. Buy a used Markbass 4x10 4 ohm. Cash being a huge consideration prevents me from this becuase I'd probably need to sell the Traveler 102P to fund the difference. Plus I end up with one large cab and no smaller cab for worship.

5. Buy another rig all together. I resisted the Markbass stuff for a long time because as stupid as this sounds I do not care for the yellow/gold accents. Now that I have it I am not looking forward to dealing with any potential repairs later on down the road. I am open to selling it all and getting something else if it was a great value. I had Eden before MB and liked it for the most part but I cannot see buying a non-Neo cabinet ever again. With that said I am very pleased with the sound of the Markbass as I have already said many times.

I play a Warwick 5 string $$ and a Fender Jazz. All finger style all the time.

2. I erased my earlier post (I thought you had the combo 210, which is killer). That little 102p and 115p do not take advantage of the full capability of the wonderful LMII.

Getting a larger 4 ohm cab like a 410 should really increase the punch, volume and low end for you.

3. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area

I have also thought about that combo as well. That would fall in the dump the whole thing category I guess!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm with Ken on this...I use the LMII with a Schroeder 1212 and a Berg 15, and there's a noticeable difference in volume. I also find that with 2 8ohm cabs, the LMII is screamin' loud.

5. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    again, its not the head, but its your choice in speakers. I use my LMII with an Epifani UL410, and its incredibly loud.

6. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    A couple questions:

1. You're hooking it up by going LMII -> 102P, then from 102P to 151P, right? Meaning, you're running 1 cable from the head, not 2.

2. Are you putting your cabs near a corner? With the rear ports, you really need some airspace behind the cabs, then a wall to reflect the sound back out. Corners are best, but a few feet out from a flat wall works too.

I'm just asking, because I have a bigger version of that very setup (the CMD 102P and 151HR) and if I crank the volume all the way up, it's damn near deafening. Certainly enough to keep up with guitars.

7. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Last time I used both cabinets I there was nothing behind my rig. Low freqs were not the problem but just hearing the low-mid stuff was just not cutting through. I am considering the larger MB versions a little as well.

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I used my LMII with an Avatar 410 for about a year. Although the Avatar is not quite as efficient as a few other cabinets I've used, I never felt the least bit like it lacked volume. I was playing with a very loud drummer for most of that time. The LMII/Avatar rig sounded really good, too.

9. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have the exact same set up, (Even my basses are similar). I play large clubs and in church with the 2x10 alone and i feel like i need more too.. Personally i'd do whatever it takes to get the 4x10 and keep the 2x10 as well.. thats my plan.

10. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    What 4x10 have you used which you think is more efficient?

11. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Mo, you have the Traveler 102P?

12. Are you saying that this hookup (assuming they are both 8 ohm cabs) presents a 4 ohm load to the LMII, yielding 500W. That is the jacks on the cabinets are wired for parallel.

BUT.....
    LMII -> 102P and
    LMII -> 115P
    appears as two seperate 8 ohm loads yielding 300W max to each?
    or 300W split between them?

13. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The Bergantino AE410 I have now sounds louder. Although, now that I come to it, that could be voicing and not necessarily efficiency.

14. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    yessir

15. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    yea a T102P would be tough by itself with any kind of normal volume drums.

I like the cab for anything without drums or acoustic based. That is why I am pretty much intent on keeping it

16. scowboy

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Assuming you are wiring straight through...It will be 4ohm no matter how you connect it. You are safe.

17. LtFuzzy

LtFuzzy

Jul 9, 2007
    Hey, I'm also trying to figure out what kind of head to get for my LMII, and I'm not very good about matching up cabs with wattage and whatever. Since the LM is 500w, does that mean I need to find a 4x10 that has less then that?

18. that's what I thought so the question confused me.

19. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Pretty much any commercially available 4x10 will work with the LMII from a wattage perspective. Academically, you would not want your cabinet's wattage rating to be lower than the amp's output.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I run my LMII into an Ampeg 410HLF and it shook the siding off my drummers house during a practice! I would get a neo 4x10 at 4 ohms and call it a day.