1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass Amp with Cabs question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oz5, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Oz5

Oz5

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi all:
    I already got a Little Mark II with a Traveler 102P speaker cab (4ohm)
    I want to add another Spk cab and I'm about to decide between the Standard 104HF Front-Ported Neo 4x10, the Standard 102HF Front-Ported Neo 2x10 or the Traveler 151P Rear-Ported Compact 1x15 that comes only in 8ohm I think.

What is my best match? and whitch is the right connection related to watt's and ohm's to get the max benefits.

Thanks in advance!!

2. If your 210 is 4 Ohms, then you can not combine any other speaker with it and your head. Your head has a minimum rating of 4 Ohms.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 and besides, if you want to run 2 cabs, they should be identical, (ie: 2x 210, 2x 115, 2x 212, etc) But 4 ohms MINIMUM means just that, and if your cab is really a 4 ohm cab, you cannot add on.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yep, as others have said all markbass heads run @ 4 and 8 ohms, they cannot handle 2 ohms.

The only way you can add another cab is if you added another 4 ohm cab and connected them in series instead of parallel, although your original cab will be slightly more quiet you would get volume out of the 2nd cab.

5. Oz5,
    CL400Peavey is correct that you can't have another 4 ohm cabinet hooked up to your amp. To help make your decision, you'll either need 2 8 ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm cabinet to make full use of the 500 watts of your amp if the cabinet (Traveler 102P) you now own isn't enough.

6. Oz5

Oz5

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you very very much I really apreciated, now I'm going confident!!

7. Just be careful, you have a decent amount of power at hand, but your cab isnt going to handle much. A 210 isnt going to hit its mechanical limits around 200 or so watts, way below what your head is capable of producing. Use your ears, when you cab sounds like it is farting, back off the volume or the low end or both.

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use a 102P with a 1x15 SWR cab with my LM3. Sounds great.
    both are 8 ohm cabs.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Another Traveler 102P is best, believe me.

10. Guys he cant actually add a cab to what he has. He is already at the minimum impedance load for his head.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sometime ya gotta hit 'em with a club to get 'em to notice!! :D :bag:

12. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I'd sell the 4 ohm and buy 2x8ohm 102P's. I tried my 102p with a 102HF and a Traveller 151 and 2x 102P's are a better match.

13. Stingray Fan

Stingray Fan

Nov 15, 2010
    New York
    Never buy a small 4 ohm cab. Better option is to get a higher-powered head (like a Little Mark 800) and 8 ohm cabs, this way if you're only using one cab, the head is putting out less wattage at 8 ohms and you won't blow up the cab. Also, 8 an ohm cab can be paired with another 8 ohm cab for a 4 ohm load, which will then take advantage of the full 4 ohm power output of the higher-powered head.

The only time you should get a 4 ohm cab is when it's a 6x10, 8x10, or a big 2x15 - something to which you could never foresee needing to add an extension cab. This is, of course, assuming you're using a "modern" head with a 4 ohm limit. Older heads, like Ampeg SVT and SWR SM-900 go down to 2 ohms, which is great for Madison Square Garden-esque applications, but basically useless for anything smaller....