1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Big Bang vs. GB Shuttle 9.2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NewGuy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Any experience with both? Which one gives you more volume without compressing the low end? Does one have a better DI over the other? Anything else you would like to add is fine with me :)

2. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Big Bang is nice! Cleaner than the shuttle. Not sure about ultimate volume comparison

3. The Big Bang is nice and yes I have it, but you'll miss the semi-para mid controls.

4. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Any issues with the DI? I played on a little Mark III and there was a pretty weak signal going to the FOH.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Must be something wrong with yours. My LMIII sends a hot signal, so much so that I have to turn it way down for most PAs.

6. The Big Bang has a level control for that and it's good and hot.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Thanks for all of the responses. It's gonna be hard to pass up these clearance prices on the Shuttle 9.2 but it looks like the Big Bang is the real deal. Now I guess I should go ahead and buy the foot switch.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    bump for more Big Bang comments

9. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Tough call, I like them both :)

10. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Just bought a brand new shuttle 9.2 at a bargain price from Bass Direct, wow what an amazing amp, and yes it does kick the Big bangs arse!!

11. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Really? you like the 9.2? I've never played one. In what way do you prefer it largely over the MB Big Bang? (Which I have also not played) ...but I've been sniffing around some of the more desireable micro bass amps. Just got a GK MBFusion 800 that I am evaluating. So far, I like it but need to get it on a gig. Definitely has a GK voice ..which is pretty cool really. Tons of power.

a great blow out deal on a Shuttle 9.2 however ...that's gonna be hard to beat!

12. GRoberts:

I compared a Big Bang and a GK MB800 Fusion for several weeks. It was a very hard decision. I ended up keeping the MB Fusion mainly due to it huge output ( I wanted to be able to use one 8 ohm cab for some gigs). Although the Big Bang sounded great I found that at very loud volume the GK MB800 Fusion was punchier, no doubt due to the power. The Big Bang has great tone and I liked the form factor/ color scheme too.

I'm using a pair of Bergantino NV115 cabs which sound amazing powered by the GK Fusion. I play mostly casuals, dance band stuff and background jazz.

Versus the GK MB 800 Fusion: The Big Bang is a little clearer sounding in the upper mids and a tad tighter in the deep bass.

13. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Silky! From your description, I would also prefer the GK MBFusion 800 over the Big Bang. (though I enver checked out the Markbass Big Bang) I bought the MB Fusion for similar gig needs and similar reasons; Solid, punchy 8 ohm cab headroom. Not volume, just enough whoomp to deliver the sonic goods and support a killerB string at typical gig volume. I also like the sleek, sexy form factor of the GK MBF 800. Quite nice looking compared to the most ugly colors of typical Markbass gear. Never cared for the yellow bumble bee look and the bland orange is just as ugly. (Not that I make my decisions on looks. I gigged and owned an LMII for years and still have a MB CMD121p/NY121 stack.

14. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK

It is fatter, tighter in the lows, with the gain wound up sounds very very valve like, top end is sweet and warm rather than bright, more headroom, nicer mid control... Need I go on!
    Oh and it matches my ae212 perfectly, would need a lot of low boost for your ml112, nice with the cn212 though....
    Would like to try the mb800 but suspect there is too much low extension

15. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Good stuff mate! Thanks for the info!

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    user error, maybe? i'm sure it has a variable output, pre or post EQ.

17. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK

+1 never had any di issues on mb gear, I have been asked to turn mine down as well!!