1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MARKBASS BIG BANG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mam1862, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Anyone know when these will hit the stores? The website doesn't say. Looks pretty cool. Interested in checking it out.

2. bassclam

bassclam

Feb 24, 2005
    Austin
    I heard from one of the North America reps for Markbass - He said look for it in the fall of 2012. Damn Europeans already have it!!:eyebrow:

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'll be looking for it when they add semi-parametric mids.

4. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Seems like a long span of time since this thing was introduced.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm wondering maybe they're delaying its U.S. intro so it doesn't pillage sales from nearly-identical models.

Or maybe they're using non-U.S. markets to get a sense of field reliability, before they turn the thing loose over here.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So it's a smaller LMII/III?

7. No. It is a new 500 watt class D offering that replaces the discontinued F1/F500. However, since it is described as sounding 'warmer' than the F1/F500, and has a feature set relatively similar to the LMIII, I guess you could say it is a smaller LMIII, with the addition of Aux in and headphone out.

I can't quite figure out why they would cancel the F500, since the feature set and form factor seem so superior to this new model, but I guess the F500 didn't sell.

I saw it at NAMM, but didn't get to play it. Markbass was really featuring the Randy Jackson heads in the booth (they had what seemed like a dozen of the 500 and soon to be released 800 watt models). They had one Big Bang, and didn't seem very interested in even talking about it when I was in the booth.

Looks pretty good, and if it has a bit more ooomph than the LMIII with a similar tone, in a smaller box, with a few more features, might be a winner for them.

8. Must admit, I have no idea why they stopped the F1/500. For those who know there amps, its a popular product. But Im guessing off the forums, etc, its a tough seller as its can be fairly high priced depending on where you live.

I used to speak to a UK store a lot about what was popular, and he always said 'the problem is, everyday bass players are only just understand what these smaller amps are about, and for many the size of the F500 is a step to far'. He sold a lot of the LM2/3, and similar sized models, but the ultra light and compact F1/500s had very little attention.

They are nice amps...I wish they kept the F500 going, perhaps even making it cheaper somehow.

9. Oh, and IMO, I don't think the Big Bang is going to be a big seller. I could be wrong, but I don't think they have 'upped' their game enough in the bass world, and they have concentrated more on the other products like Markdrum and the guitar amps.

10. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    + 1 on many points except the tone. In fact, I find it different from the LM III and even more different from the F1/f500.

I have one, it has been for a few hours now so I'm not able to talk about it in a definitive way, but...the thing that shocked me the most is the warmth, the amps sounds, to my ear, very round and deep. It has that sort of transparency and open-ness that we want in a Markbass amp but its tone is very pleasant in other aspects and reminds me, when set with all knobs at noon and filters off, of a tube channel strip on a high end console. Please take into consideration that I'm referring to the DI and phones tone, so I guess it's a preamp thing.
    markbass claims that they put a lot of effort to mellow the tone and to impart a very analog-type personality to the digital poweramp.
    well, I have briefly tried the Big bang with my Bergs and the warmth is still there, but I need a true real-world situation before saying my definitive word, a multi.instrumental rehearsal or, better, a gig.
    Unfortunately, this period is so busy that I must wait for this kind of experiment (children to come...)...
    One thing that hit me was the uber sensitive EQ, very powerful, and the musical action of the VLE filter. I previously owned a SA450 and found that, whereas the controls were effective, it was rather difficult to change the behaviour of the head dramatically. The SA450 sounded best, to me, with almost non Eq'ing, and sounded a bit different but always like itself when engaging heavy changes in EQ or filters.
    the Big Bang seems very versatile, it can cope the "behaviour" of different amps and tones in my opinion, if someone wants it to do so.
    I don't know if Markbass has modified or tweaked the preamp section on this model, maybe I simply have a different ear compared to some years ago.
    Myself...I simply like it with a slight boost (+ 1-2 dB maybe...) on the bass and treble knobs with my G&L jazz with nickel rounds and totally dry with my Thumb with steel rounds...very warm and beefy but clear and punchy...
    The VLE cuts highs very gently till 10-11 o' clock, where it starts to cut more drastically and, most of all, impart a totally different colour and behaviour to the amp, the tone becomes even more "boxed" and to my ear it does cope the tone of the old cabs, when there was no tweeter and the drivers....well, not the Kappalite, ok?
    I doubt I will use it past 11, but nonetheless it's an impressive effect.
    The VPF is what I remembered, it scoops but I don't like it, when engaged the tone looses quickly its roundness and body, becoming too artificial to my ear...no problem, a matter of taste...
    The DI sounds phenomenal, truly...
    a push-able button for the mute would have been welcome, but I can always connect a pedal switch.
    a extensive user manual would have been useful or simply welcome, instead of the 4 pages included the warranty card and safety instructions...thanks god this is not my first amp. I would have liked an explanation and curves for the EQ and the like, but it's OK, the amp sounds good, let's play the damn thing!

11. Nice. Looks like a great head. Again, I've never played one, so my tone comment was from other users and also talking to the Markbass guys at the last NAMM. You comments makes sense, since they tried to voice the head right in-between the LMIII and F500/F1 (i.e., bigger low end than the F1/F500, a bit more midrange punchy than the LMIII. Seems like they did a pretty good job.

The preamp looks to be the same as the LMIII and F1, with the additional of the headphone out and a few footswitchable functions.

Enjoy! Lets hope the Big Band II has semiparametric mids and a traditional mute switch. If so, I'm in!

Edit: The VLE is similar in impact to the passive tone control on a bass. Not identical (the VLE is an adjustable lo pass filter), but VERY useful at lower settings to change to nature of the top end of a cab (hence, the term 'vintage loudspeaker emulation'). Dialing it in just a touch with a tweeter loaded cab takes the upper treble edge off a tweeter, making the top end sound more organic and 'papercone'. Dialing it is a little more will allow you to remove the tweeter completely from the tone of the cab (again, hence the 'VLE' name). VERY cool control!

12. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    the following link refers to two quick takes of my jazz bass with the Big Bang's DI output in post-eq mode.
    These are not intended to show a perfect mastering or perfectly polished song, I made a quick first take for the two songs and kept the bass a bit loud in the mix to let you appreciate the tone.
    In "idraulico" I favoured the bridge PU and boosted a bit (let's say approx. 3-4 dB) the bass, low mids and high mids knob on the Markbass and raised the VLE to 10 o' clock.
    In "Adele" the only EQ changes were an even lighter boost (maybe 1-2 dB, the knob barely moved) of the low mids and high mids and everything else untouched, played the two PUs blended.
    The boosts in the eq were made to match the overall folk sound of the music but in my opinion show how much warmth the Big Bang is capable of in the midrange.
    I must say to everyone that with this EQ using a bit of judice is absolutely mandatory, a little goes a very long way and twisting without care can lead to mistakes. Every minuscule roration of every knob makes a clear and audible difference.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=sratas