1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MarkBass Black Lady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is a pretty funky looking take on the Jazz Bass, but I guess funky Jazz Bass is redundant. The bridge looks sort of cheap. That said, it gets a proper Jazz Bass tone.

HughD, smogg, nuage420b and 7 others like this.
  2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    It sounds great, but not really diggin the looks.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I not much on the styling either, but it’s got that Jazz Bass sound.

lowdownthump and bordinco90 like this.
  4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    “ Proper Jazz Bass tone” .....Yep!!:thumbsup::headphone:

I like the headstock shape and matching color stripe . :drool:

The name Black Lady..... NOPE:rollno:
    Same goes for all of those knobs.

The body shape screams 80’s/90’s . Reminds me of the Fender Duff, PJ Lyte, Boxer series.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

$2000 (aprox US).............nope! Not feeling it either. I also prefer Jazz body Jazz basses.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Is it a bass from Aliexpress ???

This demo dint show any advantage from the bass especially how versatile the preamp work.
    Usd 2K price tag , you get thin bend plate bridge, old fashion square neck joint, ugly gamma yellow neck tint, nondescript headstock, blank one piece maple neck, soft gig bag instead candy case..... worth ? Only the tuning machine look like Gotoh brand if I am correct.

Both Markbass and Ashdown launch their bass guitar but with high price...... they seem to overestimate that they have Sadowsky's level of motives for electric bass.

Justmy2cents

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  7. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The body shape is fairly Precision-like, if you ask me, so the 80's-90's look is probably more due to the lack of a pickguard. I rather like it, myself - it's not unlike what G&L has done with the JB-2. And it's a more practical body shape than the offset body of an ordinary Jazz, if a little less distinctive. The striped headstock is a good idea, but the coloured stripe is very much at odds with the headstock shape, IMHO.

Phaidrus likes this.
  8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I think you're being a little unfair here. The bass looks well constructed, and the hardware looks quite good. It's a little traditional, but a lot of people actually prefer that. It's a considerable contrast to Markbass' Kilimanjaro/Kimandu basses, which would probably be more to your liking:

MARKBASS | Products | MB KIMANDU ARTISAN GOLD 4 BK MAPLE

It's very much a question of taste.

Andy V., Phaidrus and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  9. I quite like the idea of a P Bass body with a jazz neck and pickups in the jazz positions, a bit like the bass that Jeff Berlin used a lot in the 80's. However, this thing has not blown me away there.

The aesthetics of it are rather challenging to me and I do echo the comments about the cheap looking bridge. The finish on the neck looks a little too bright and rather cheap, though that could be an effect of the studio lighting. The tones in the video were nice enough for what they're aiming for.

I didn't much like the demo video though. I think the presenter could really benefit by spending less time looking directly into the camera and working on his delivery.

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those two rows of knobs just look bad. I had not said anything in my posts, but the name “Black Lady” is pretty clueless.

gebass6, murphy, frustum and 5 others like this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Gonna be a hard sell in the USA with that name and that price.

BadJazz, gebass6, murphy and 11 others like this.
  12. I really like the Markbass amp range but I have some reservations about these bass guitars. The Kilimanjaro looks to be an excellent bass, the Kimandu on the other hand looks sort of cheap despite it's stiff price tag. I find the styling of both to be highly derivative of the Zon Legacy. It's interesting that Markbass have sought to make their own designs rather than making an outright copy of the P and J. However, I don't think the overall product looks all that impressive. The 'Black Lady' name probably sounds better in Italian than it does in English and there is no doubt that the company still approaches the market with an Italian worldview rather than an American perspective. I don't find the name offensive, just a bit naff.

Phaidrus and Rabidhamster like this.
  13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Sandberg's Cali TM is along that line. Here's a pic from their Configurator. You can split the bridge pickup, so it's JJ.

redburst TM-5 pic.JPG

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just curious Doc, how do you prefer five knobs to be aligned?

Phaidrus likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A couple could be stacked to reduce it to four.

lowdownthump and Passinwind like this.
  16. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Makes sense. I really can't stand the ergonomics of stacked pots though, personally. I'm not too keen on two straight rows like that in any case, and the two tone headstock is a big nope in my book.

DWBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Have Markbass even distributed their basses in North America ? I’ve never seen one for sale here.

18. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Come on, do they have a completely clueless marketing department? "Black Lady"? Even if I loved it, I don't think I could buy one based on the name alone. Maybe nuances were lost in translation.

gebass6, murphy, frustum and 2 others like this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I am a black lady and I don’t find it offensive either. I find it to be just plain stupid .
    :eyebrow:

ruju, BZadlo, Kubicki Fan and 16 others like this.
  20. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Will Markbass be coming out with a White Guy p-bass ... sunburst with tort and flats?

MrChiz, BZadlo, gebass6 and 15 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021