1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass Cab Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Russell L, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, I was using just one of my Traveler 151P cabs with my LMIII head last weekend in a medium-sized venue with a moderately loud four-piece. I was afraid it wouldn't be enough, especially without PA support this time. But it was just fine.

But, what got me was the tone. I've heard it said a lot that Markbass cabs seem to be heavy on the mids, something that apparently drives folks away from them. I've tried to identify it in my cabs, and I can honestly say that I see what they mean. It's most noticeable in a music store. When I got my first 151P I compared it to the 12" in my 121H combo and was amazed that the little combo seemed deeper. Well, until I tried it in a mix, then it seemed just fine. It can also take MUCH more lows at a higher volume without clanking.

I was thinking before the gig that if I didn't have eough lows at volume I'd just let the mids get me through, even if I had to turn them up. I didn't need to, though. I don't know what made the difference, but by dang if that cab didn't have all the bottom I ever wanted this time. I was fairly close to it, and so needed to prop up the front to aim it at me better. Heh, didn't have a proper prop, but had a dogfood bowl in the truck that worked great, LOL. Anyway, the cab was about three feet from the wall, slightly angled in toward the band. gain was at 2:00, master around 10:00, eqs at noon, VLE around noon. Perfect sound, I swear.

It was my second gig that day, the first being outdoors with the same rig (man, was it hot!). Also no PA support. The bass player in the band following us said he could hear every note I played from offstage. It didn't sound as deep to my ears, but at least it says that this Markbass cab can put the sound out there and sound articulate.

Anywho, it just goes to show that ya never know. I just thought it was interesting how full that cab sounded at the second gig.

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    [Anybody out there?]

3. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    That's my exact cab/amp setup right now. It sounds great and has plenty of power for any medium sized gig. The cabs really bring out the dynamic mids on the MB heads, I don't think I'm ever going back

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Hey, thanks for the reply. The same rig, huh? Cool. So, you like the Traveler 151P, eh? That's nice to hear, for a change. I like mine, too, except for the weight. I know 45.75 lbs. isn't really much, but at my age and with my bad shoulder it's getting tough. I'm looking into Barefaced now.

So, do you get enough lows with your 151P? I must say, two of them sound massive, but still articulate. I think they look good, too. I never hear anyone comment much about them, so I'm interested.