1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Cabinets: Help me to choose

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Xithias, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Standard 102HF + Transporter 102P

37.9%
  2. Standard 151HR + Transporter 102P

62.1%
  1. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    Well... I have this 2 options:

- Standard 102HF + Transporter 102P
    - Standard 151HR + Transporter 102P

Explain your choice, please! :hyper:

I'll buy the LMKII and one cabinet, and later the other cabinet (you know, the money... :ninja: ).
    What cab would you buy first? (it must be in your chosen option)
    :help:

2. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The MB 102HF is actually the only Markbass cabinet that I've tried paired with the MB LMKII head.
    It sounded great! I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of low end it was capable of producing. I would go with the 102HF. I like the sound of a single 15 but typically only when paired with 10' or 12's.

3. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Buy a 2x10 first. Then get the 1X15 if you think you need more bottom, or add another 2x10.

4. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I have the STD 102HF and the Traveller 102p and it's a great pairing.

I gigged with just the 102p tonight and although it sounded really good, the 102HF has a much bigger sound and would cover virtually all of my gig needs by itself. The cabinets really shine when paired though.

Having said that the other option might be good too (I've not tried the 151HR).

5. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    I have a 5 strings Bass... :bassist:

With only the Standard 102HF... How works the cab with the low B? :ninja:

And only the Transporter 102P? :bag:

6. I voted the 15". As I gigged with a single EV 1x15" for years & I find they DO provide plenty of tops as well as bottom end punch. BUT IF the 2x10" does supply plenty of low end -ROOM FILLING ( important IMHO) punch- then try that 1st. IMHO I'd get the 15" 1st -knowing this'll supply ALL the BOTTOM end [ this IS bass guitar after all ] & power for the band-the last thing U want is for it to sound thin & 'lacking' in the bottom end-then get the 2x10" later to give U some top end snap etc..
    Just my 2c.

7. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    Thanks guys!

More opinions?

:help:

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I don't play a 5 string but the current STD102HF (the double ported version ) has real chest thumping lows.

I don't know what version of the cab you are looking at - is the new version shipping yet?

9. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    I Don't know what version they have in the shop...

But they must sound similar... no?

10. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    :bag:

11. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway

No problems with the B with the 102HF, plenty of lows

12. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    Thanks Bugbass!!

More votes, opinions, reviews...? :ninja:

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Are you able to get to a shop and try these for yourself? Once you have it narrowed down to MarkBass, like you do, you really just need to try out different combinations of cabinets and see what sounds best to your ears.

Good luck,
    Liam

14. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    There aren't Markbass products here in my city...

That's the reason of the poll... :help:

15. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    Another question:

As a standalone, what cab will work better, the Std 151HR or the Std 102HF?
    I think the 102Hf...

I think that the best option is: buy the 102HF, and later, decide what I'll add to my sound: more lows (115HR) or more definition (102P)...

What do you think about this?

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I tried the 102P on a gig by itself, it just didn't have the huevos grandes to get the job done by itself. I tried the 151P in the store, it was a lot louder, and had a fuller range than the 102P. If I was doing nothing but jazz, the 102P would be a great choice, but playing rock I'd go with the 151P and 102P together, or the 102HF paired with the 102P. That's my opinion, anyway. Best case, money no object, the 151HF and the 102HF.

17. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    Thanks Bassic83!

More opinions?

As a standalone, what cab will work better, the Std 151HR or the Std 102HF?

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I have a Traveler 102P and a Traveler 151P. As stated above, the 151 is way punchier, and it handles much more power. It is also a very fast 15", which makes it perfect as a standalone (also due to the adjustable tweeter that is featured too).

I don't see the point of getting two different 2x10 cabs ; having one 2x10 and one 1x15 gives more versatility, IMO.

Hope this helps
    Jay

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    ^ Yup. What he said.

20. Xithias

Xithias

Jun 24, 2007
    Gijon (Spain)
    But the 102HF sounds different than the 102P... I think

If I have good lows with the 102HF, I think that this cab will be my first option...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021