1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass CMD102p settings questions ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Got a killer deal on a Mark CMD102p so I had to grab it.

It's been a while since I have owned any MB gear and was wondering about what the settings (no manual came with it and haven't looked for one yet online).

One particular setting I was wondering about was the gain vs master,,, I think I recall reading that with MB it's best to set the gain high and back it off when is clips and use the master for volume,, I think I had read MB is more sensitive to that setting than other amps, if that makes sense.

Any other advice on settings for the CMD102p would be most welcome.

I play passive 5 string in a loud rock band and prefer a natural clean bass tone,,,, in the next few weeks I plan on getting the MB 102p ext cab to mate up with my new Mark combo,,,, or,,,,,, should I get a Mark 1x15 ext cab vs a 2x10 cab.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    There are lots of threads on this subject just search Markbass or LMIII, etc. I added a 102hf as a second cab, it will go louder and lower then a 102p and is more portable then a 115. I was surprised how light the 102hf is, noticeably lighter then the cmd102p

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Davy, you are correct about the gain setting. Also know that the VLE and VPF are off when turned fully counterclockwise. As for an extension I think the 102hf would do better since it more closely matches your combo's box. 115 might work, though, who can say?

I have found that I like to roll off the lows a tad with my LMIII head, depending on the situation, of course. The low knob is centered at 40Hz and shelves from there on down . Putting it at, say, 10:30-11:00 works for me. Try standing in different places to hear the effect of the lower frequencies. Sometimes when standing right in front of my rig I don't hear them as much as standing off axis. But, then again, usually when I hit alow E or F it is amazing how the lows ring out in a room no matter what the settings. I have't played your rig, though, so I can't say for sure how it reacts. Heard a guy play one the other night. It had a tighter sound than my LMIII head with my Traveler 151P cab. I don't know what his settings were, though, and couldn't see what bass he was playing very well. I play a Jazz or old Jazz Bass Special, both with flats.

Oh, and the low mids are centered at 360Hz. If you're looking to tweak in the range of 100-200Hz you might want a pedal. I'm considering that option myself.

Careful with the VPF, as it cuts mids and boosts lows and highs. My CMD 121H combo runs out of excursion if my plucking hand gets too floppy when there are too many lows at higher volume.

Speaking of volume, I find that I usually run with the gain at 1:30 and master at anywhere from 10:00 to noon at the most for most of my gigs. I never run the master past noon, and even rarely that high.

VLE just cuts highs, no worries.

Try running it with the eq neutral, filters off and see what you think in a mix. Might sound harsh soloed, but might surprise you in a band setting.

Hope that helps.

4. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Cool,,,, thanks for the feedback.

I will take a closer look at getting the 102hf instead of the 102p cab,,,, I had wondered which 2x10 would be best to mate up with the CMD102p if I did not go for a 1x15 cab.

And thanks for the VLE/VPF advice.

A few years ago I owned the Berlin 1x15 and the NY 1x15 ext cab but switched to GK gear so it's been a bit since I've played with the Mark stuff.

Cheers
    Davyo