1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass CMD121P or Shuttle 6.0-12T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sorry about this but, like the perp said to Clint, "I gotsta know".

The wife says that we can stimulate and I need what both of these can do. I just want to know which is best!

I'd like to hear from some of you fellow TB'ers who've tried both.

I will use it for rehearsals, small gigs and maybe even larger gigs with a 210XLT or NL210. R&B, rock, bluesey jazz, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Later, Kirk

2. Markbass for sure. Turn of a knob gets you the tube-like sound that you'd be jonesing for given the music you play.

3. Tube-like sound? As an owner, which knob would this be? :confused:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's actually built in at any setting.

Anyway, it breaks down to the Markbass being more for people who like warm tubey sounds, and the Shuttle for those who prefer the clarity of SS and hybrid. At least that's how it breaks down for me.

5. Hey Jimmy. I know we always but heads on this, but I continue to hear the LMII as about as crisp and SS as can be, whereas the Shuttle always has that sort of hybrid tube coloring to it.

I do understand what you are saying though... the LMII has an unusual fatness and warmth way down low, so I hear what you are saying about the 'clean tube' sort of thing. However, the response is just so 'fast'... I (and many of my Detroit funk buddies) love the LMII for its ability to deliver that sort of Marcus Miller fat low end, sizzly top end and almost immediate punch when slapped... simply wonderful. Of course, per the comment above, if you crank the 'vintage loudspeaker emulation' filter, that big low end and fatness comes through much more, which I think is what you are talking about.

I have now played the Shuttle 112 and 210 cabs. The good news, very high quality, lightweight, nice tilt back feature, wonderful spray on covering, very cool 'head clamp' sort of thing. The bad news: to my ear, rather thin sounding versus most other 112's and 210's I have experience with.

Edit: To the OP, both Wilbyman and B String double with the Markbass 112 combo, so you might want to PM them if they don't show up on your thread.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's a part of it, sure, but up until recently, I've actually had a pretty full range tone. Maybe I attenuated at 5 or 6K most of the time, but I didn't go out of my way to roll off high end like I do now. Probably added more treble than I ever rolled off. So I think while that's definitely part of it, I think it's snappy high end is also pretty tubelike.

7. Here comes the fire(hence me putting in LIKE sound), the VLE knob I find EMULATES an old school tube-tone quite well. IMO/YMMV/etc. :smug:

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hola basso bro's.
    I have not used the Genz boxes with the 6.0, so I'm not sure
    how they would be head to head. I did use the 6.0 shuttle
    with the speaker in my 121P combo.
    The 6.0 had a more complex sounding mid, but the LMII head
    in the 121P combo just killed it for low end and volume.
    Realize that the actual speaker box in the 121P is almost as
    small as a GK150mb combo. Having ports across the bottom
    back of the cabinet really helps get as much low end as you
    can out of the 121P. Then I hooked up both heads to my
    Epi UL112 box. Again, the LMII sounded great just about flat
    with the Epi. The Shuttle sounded about as good but it took
    more eqing. The 121p is also a bit smaller than the Genz.
    Both combo's are top of the line gear. Do you want a Honda
    or a Toyota?
    The big plus is that you can use the Shuttle as a separate
    head. You can do this with the Markbass combo, but it voids
    your warranty.

9. Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!!

It seems that the MB is the "plug-play, little or no EQ required" winner. Now, let's try one and see.

Thanks, Kirk

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I haven't really checked out the genz 112., other than picking one up to check the weight. I can tell you the 121p is much much smaller and lighter.

The 121p puts out alot of sound. It is probably the smallest amp you can play the biggest gig with. However, the tweeter is a real liability. The more you crank it the more the tweeter sounds like a telephone receiver. The amp/speaker have a very high threshold for clean volume but the tweeter does not.

Right now I am using a markbass ac101 combo which has a 2 channel amp. It also has a better, bigger tweeter (the same offered in the 121h) combo. It sounds fantastic but is limited in volume (200w, 1x10 driver).

If it were me, I would go with the 121h rather than the p. It is slightly bigger but I think it would be the best of the 3 sonically.

11. Tightanic

Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I recently took the Markbass 121p home for testing and also used it on a small gig. What surprised me the most is that it sounded best with double bass to me (heavy eq'ing incorporated), but I just couldn't care too much about the slab tone. Granted, my bass puts out a lot of low mids (Bartolini soapbars and other aspects), but this amp has just way too much of them for my liking. The low end seems to drop quite a bit at pretty short distances from the amp, and all that is left are these mids. The tweeter also sounds quite useless to me since it preferrably performs in super high regions where not much despite fret noise and hiss are happening. There's a whole between the high mids and the low highs so to speak. Not being allowed to attentuate it doesn't make life easier here.

You can guess from my report that I wasn't exactly pleased by it's tone, but there are good things as well: The combo seems to be pretty indestructible, you never get the feeling of being close to destroying something while hitting the B-string at high volume levels. Stacking with the slightly bigger 1x12" cab with the "real" HF-horn will not make the weird high end go away (because you can't turn down the 121p's tweeter), but I played the combination at a store and it can really deliver some serious stage volume. Overall I have to say that this amp is not for me, sounds too agressive and mid heavy, kind of rude in a way - and that's propably also what makes it sound so loud. Nevertheless, good machine if you need big power and plug and play performance in a light box. Btw., I just ordered a Shuttle 3.0 10T, but it hasn't arrived yet...

Johannes

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, uprights do tend to get boomy when you amplify them, so its 45 hz low end + strong upper mids is pretty much perfect to attenuate the boominess. But I really can't complain about what I get out of it with the electric. Yeah, sometimes you do miss the 40 hz response, but I've had pretty good luck using a touch of extra bass. The bass control is voiced at 40 hz, so while it doesn't exactly add 40 hz back in, it does make it sound more heavy on the low end.

14. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Well I have the Markbass one, never tried the other. The Markbass is lightweight and will fit in small places - plus packs a wallop!

I've also used it with a hartke 410XL and it sounded great.

15. Hello all, again,

Thanks for all the input. I wish there was a way, other than the "Friendly" way, to try out gear.

The local music store has GB but I would place a special order which, I am assuming, would mean no returns if it didn't meet my needs.

Sheesh!! What a dilema!!!!!!! Maybe I'll just keep my Schroe Mini12+ and buy a new Schroe 410L for the big gigs.

Thanks again, Kirk

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't see why in this day and age they wouldn't accept a return if you don't like it, but it's something you ought to check out first, most definitely.

17. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've been looking for the perfect small light combo for years now. I think I've found something very close in the MB 121p combo. I took it to the gig the other week and also brought along my usual rig (Bagend SD15 Epi UL210/ WT550). It was about a 300 people party not too big but our drummer is really loud and I get no PA support. Well, the guys all couldn't believe that I didn't setup the Eden/Bagend and ran only the MB121 (very close to the wall so I could use the ports on the back). Wow, it actually was loud enough and sounded pretty good. I say that because I like a warm tone and the Eden head is really warm while the MB121 is more mid growly. I've also had the GenzBenz 3.5, the one before the shuttle and although it had a tube, it was never that warm especially compared to the Eden. I think the MB121 is warmer than the GB3.5 and from what I heard when I compared the Shuttle 6.0, the MB121 sounds smoother. Anyway, I got a bigger gig tonight and I'm going to take a chance on using just the MB121. I'll try to give a report later on whether it could do it or not. I hope it can because the guys are going to scream if not. I'll probably take the bagend as an emergency cab to connect if I need.

18. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Wow, one man's "rather thin" is another's "beautifully articulate" or "balanced" or.....;)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    True dat. That's why Ken didn't reply like he was speaking for everybody.

Now here's my opinion...if you're looking for thick and rich, you're not going to find it in a 112 or 210 cab built as much for small size as it is for tone. Small cabs are a compromise, let's face it. They can still sound great, but a compromise they are.

20. Yes, same experiences. I have an Avatar B210 Neo around just in case, but it seems the CMD121P handles a lot of cases. Also, in more and more scenarios where I play the sound guys just hook DA to my MarkBass combo so they also add more low-end and power if needed.

CMD121P was the best amp I've purchased concerning flexibility and especially my back (and keeping it inside my Mazda 3. when going to gigs.)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021