1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass combo/extension cabinet questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FromTheBassMent, Mar 3, 2010.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Okay, so I've got my Markbass CMD121P, which I love. It gives me all the oomph I need for most venues.

But not all. So I'm thinking of buying an extension cabinet. I have two questions.

The first is purely technical. The power amp is currently connected to the 8 ohm internal speaker. I like the sound of this speaker and want to continue running it. Does this mean that using the second speaker output I should only run into an 8 ohm cabinet? Or can I take advantage of the full 500w by running a 4 ohm extension simultaneously with the 8 ohm internal speaker? Yes, I do understand the math involved in calculating total impedance when running cabinets daisy-chained together (e.g., single amp output into one cabinet and then into a second cabinet). What I don't know is whether the two outputs on the back of the Markbass head are the equivalent of a series or parallel connection... and I can't seem to get that info from the Markbass site (might help if I could read a schematic, but I can't).

The second is utterly aesthetic. I would like to know what sort of results others with this combo have had with speaker configurations in extension cabinets. My lust for old-school 70's low end makes me think a 1x15 might be the way to go. At other times I think the combo might be improved with the added punch of a pair of 10's. Still other times I wonder whether mixing speaker sizes when the combo contains a 12 is a good idea at all (12's have a rather distinctive character that I happen to like a lot). Has anyone experimented with any of these combinations?

Just FYI, I play fingerstyle "Americana," so no slappy-poppy for me... the tweeter in the combo is dialed back about 50% via the VLE filter, and I don't really care if an extension cab has a tweeter at all.

Thanks Markbassers!

2. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    You definitely want another 8 ohm cab not a 4. You will ruin the amp if you add a 4.

You should look at a fullsize markbass 210 or the 151HR (if you don't mind mixing speaker sizes). I wouldn't go with the markbass travelers if you want the ooomph.

3. Yes

NO! The total impedance would be 2.67 ohms and you will fry something!

The Markbass combo heads are LM II (or III, depending on when you bought yours), so they are basically the head with an 8-ohm cab connected to it. An extension cab would have to be 8 ohms, connected to the other speaker jack. This will have the head putting out the 500W into 4 total ohms (parallel).

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I found the 121H on the bottom to be quite pleasing, but it did not have the presence of a 115 or a 410. It was just more volume & more richness, but not WAY more. It does look good though (121H under a 121P). The local Jam night thing I go to regularly has a Traveller 15 and I am damned impressed by it.

5. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Okay, thanks Bubba... that was the technical expertise I was looking for. I figured that using both jacks would be the equivalent of a parallel connection, and I'm just assuming that 2.67 ohms would be living dangerously (although I can't find a minimum load rating on the amp either... but likely 4 ohms).

6. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Cool. They've got the new NY 122 out now, which would also stack nicely with the 121P. Gotta figure that would move a bit of air, and retain the signature 12 sound that I'm really loving.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He would have to disconnect his 12 in the combo though as I've only seen the 212 listed in a 4ohm configuration. If they ever make it in an 8ohm, I'm all over it to go with my CMD121.

8. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I am completely satisfied with my CMD 121P and Traveller 102P, but if they put out an 8 ohm NY212 I will jump on that **** with all haste.

9. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    I have the 121P and use an NYC121 ext cab. It adds a lot of presence and retains the punch. My bass is a P or J w/ flatwounds and I like an old school RnB sound...think B15 but louder. This rig comes very close anmd is easy to move ...but it does not sound like a 300 watt tube head thru a JBL D140. Close tho, and does have more clarity.

10. i have a Mini CMD121P/NY121 rig....

All things considered -size/weight, tone, acoustic output and appearance- the NY121 cab is the way to go imho....

11. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Meh, I hadn't noticed that it's 4 ohm only. Wonder why they decided to do that? Seems like it would be the perfect extension cab for the 121 combo. :confused:

staurosjohn likes this.
  12. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Thanks for the link to the pic... yeah, if that sounds half as good as it looks, it might be the perfect solution!

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I think for what you're looking for you'd be better served by the 121H. The taller cab still stacks perfectly under the CMD121, but has a little more "umph" than the NY121. Plus the CMD121 will be sitting higher up, closer to your ear.

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I have the same situation.

The output connectors are in parallel, so you can only connect an 8 Ohm speaker.

Also - the pairs of jacks on speakers are always in parallel, so when you "daisy-chain" them you are always connecting them in parallel, not series. The impedance goes down, it doesn't add up.

The NY cab was not yet available, so I found a Schroeder 1212L, with 2 neo 12s in a cabinet only a little larger than the 121P, and it is 8 Ohms. Now I have THREE 12s driven by the full 500W of the head - really cranks and sounds great!

Mini-Stack.jpg

staurosjohn likes this.
  15. FromTheBassMent

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    What direction does the second 12 driver fire? Down? Out the back?

16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I don't use it often but have had great results with an Aguilar GS112NT - I put the Aggie down horizontally, and the CMD121P on top. I'm not in deep love with the sound of the MB speaker, but it's real hard to get past the killer functionality of that small combo, and the MB head goes great with Aguilar GS cabs. Note that I also tried this with a regular GS112, and far preferred the NT, or the GS112 with the tweeter rolled completely off.

SJan3 likes this.
  17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The way he's got it there the second 12 is actually firing upwards at an outward angle behind the tweeter.

I have a Tech Soundsystems cab (CT2000, the design the Schroeder was modeled after) that I use in the same way. It's dimensions are slightly smaller than the Schroeder so the locking corners match up. But since I am only using the tweeter in the Markbass when used this way, I actually have my cab flipped the other way so the angled twelve and the port are firing at floor level. This gives you much more bottom than the twelve (and port) firing upwards.

I also use the Tech cab with a 15 for bigger/louder gigs powered by my LMIII (non-combo).

TechSoundSystemCarvinCab001.jpg

18. Same quest as ftBassment, need for more low end for live gigs, targeting outdoor.

I'd go for a 15" cab, certainly a diy as this guy did in 12", incredibly close to a genuine Markbass.
    http://forum.onlybass.com/index.php?/topic/30444-construction-dun-12-avec-tweeter/page-2
    [​IMG]

I'll put a Monacor HT 30 for the tweeter, it´s a 8ohm speaker build, seen people promoting it as a great enhancement in their Markbass cab to replace the hissy LeSon.

Don't know yet which 15" driver is more suitable, love to put an Eminence C2515 but it´s 4 ohm only.

B&C has different models, which one is the most suitable to keep the Markbass vibe ?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020