1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Combo Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass2, Mar 13, 2008.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Anyone know if you can pull the "Combo Head" out of the enclosure of a Mini CMD 121P and the other combos, and use it separately, or is it not designed to be taken out?

Thanks.

2. You can absolutely pull the guts out of a combo and use it as a head. You will probably want to build some kind of a box for it and you may have to rig up a set of jacks for the speaker outputs, but their is no reason not to do this.

3. He's talking about pulling the head out of a specific combo, not in general.

I know the CMD121's head has normal jacks on the back. I would surmise that's it's fairly easy to remove, but I'm not sure if the cab is constructed to make it easy to get at.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I have tried unsuccessfully to pull it out. I have heard of someone else saying they were able to, but I don't see how you can do it without at least breaking the built-in speaker cable.

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I should clarify--I have one of these, but I'm nervous about messing with it. Would love to use that head sometimes alone with my Dr. Bass 1x15. I just don't wanna yank it out if it's not really built for that.

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I checked into that option once and spoke with someone who claims he did it and this is completely doable.

it's basically held by four screws (on the CMD151 at least) and is the same chassis as the LM2 spare for the front panel graphics.

however you should be aware that it has no top, you'll have to fabricate a top panel.

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Just unplug the cab's speaker from the head and plug in the 15". Yeah, you have to bring the whole thing with you to try it, but we used to bring 30 lb. SS heads to gigs before, so what's the difference?

BTW, it's doable on the bigger cabs because it's front loaded and has a lot of room behind it, but not the smaller tighter 12" combo.

8. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That's what I mean! I wanted to know what to expect in that regard. Think I'll leave it in place for now;)

I do in fact run the combo with my 1x15 as an ext. sometimes---sounds fantastic--I love the 12 and 15 together. I was just thinking it might be nice to stick that head in a backpack and take the 15" out by itself sometime. I guess that's what the LMII is for;)

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought both a combo and a head ;) But it sure would be nice if they designed it to be removed.

10. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Has anyone who has this combo actually done it or is this all hearsay? I asked this question before and several people said it could be done but when I asked if they actually tried it themselves they said no. Then someone who did actually try it for reals came along and said you would have to cut a lip off of the cabinet in order to remove the head.

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    YES!!
    A friend of mine has a 121P. (I do too) All you do is unscrew
    the four screws on the back of the box. Unhook the speaker
    cable, and slide the amp up throught the box. You have to
    push the amp up from the bottom. Its really easy. My friend
    uses the amp just as a head all the time. There is a 6x8in (?)
    opening on the top of the amp. No idea why. The guy had
    an aluminium piece made for it. (six or seven bucks) It fits
    flush on the top, so it just stays on in or out of the combo.

12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    It sure would be nice if someone could post pics

on removing the head from the combo..:meh:

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Yeah, I still don't get how you can take the amp out without crushing the speaker cable.

14. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK. From what I've seen. (and this really is simple)
    Unplug the speaker cable from the amp.
    Unscrew the four screws on the back of the box. (using the
    correct screw driver head)
    Using both hands, and applying equal pressure with both
    hands, push the head up through the top of the box.
    Its a tight fit at first, but loosens up after a few times taking
    it out.
    You won't crush the speaker cable because you won't be
    trying to push the head towards the floor.

15. SlapHead

SlapHead

Dec 23, 2006
    I'm tempted to try this...I just got the 3x10 combo yesterday. I found that the sound quality (bottom end particuarily) sounds punchier when you are several feet away as opposed to when you are standing right beside the amp. In a gigging situation it would be useful to seperate the amp & cab so you can have the amp beside you and the cab a couple of feet away.

16. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have no idea if this works with any combo other than the
    mini 121P.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's quite simple to remove. I did it just to see if it was in a case that could be used as a head without the combo. It doesn't have one, so you'd need to build some type of cover/enclosure for it. The "combo" head is the exact same head as the LMII, with a different paint job.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you talking about the mini 121P combo or a different one?
    The head in the combo is enclosed other than a small square
    opening on the top of the head.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My mini CMD 121 P is does not have the head fully enclosed. It's open in the back, under the head.

20. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you saying the amp has an open space on the bottom of
    the head if you're looking at it set on top of a speaker box,
    or is it on the back of the amp where the fan and inputs are?