1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

markbass combo hiss question - pls help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fishhed, Feb 29, 2008.

1. fishhed

fishhed

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi,

I looked at a marbass cmd12p mini combo. It sounded great and I think the price was ok $700 for what looked like a new bass amp (its second hand but looks cherry).

I played my warwick thumb on it (I play rock, blues, starting to learn jazz) and it sounded great - even nicer tone thank my GK rig tho no side by side comparison was possible as test was at his house.

My problem is that with gain or the vintage amp sound turned up more than 12 o clock there was big hiss = white noise. The guy said it was a bad circuit from the wall socket but....? If I turned my bass down the hiss went lower (its active pups), but I think the point is to buy something I can play loud with a range of sounds. Hooked up an external cab and the same problem.

Am I expecting too much? Anyone with a new markbass have a comment on this? Is the price reasonable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    My SA450 produces virtually no noise at all, even cranked.

Also the VLE cuts treble, so it wont make it more hissy. On the other hand VPF does boost top and bass and cuts middle, so this could well introduce hiss, or make it more prominent. However I cant get mine close to 12 o'clock, it just gets overpowering way before then...

It could certainly be that your bass has some hiss that the VPF is making much more prominent. My bass has an EMG J-Set and a passive tone circuit, and I literally get no hiss at all. Any noise around 10KHz would be made more obvious, since there is a pretty powerful tweeter in that box.

Without trying a few other basses its impossible to say for sure, but the fact that turning your bass down lessens the noise is highly indicative that the noise originates from your bass. Try a fresh battery!

3. fishhed

fishhed

Aug 18, 2006
    I tried a Gibson SG style passive bass and had the same hiss. Battery is pretty new - no hiss on my GK at home. I saw on a cryptic thread that some one else had hiss and it turned out to be due to apartment power issues, so wondered it it could be that.
    Thanks.