Markbass Comp and ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pbass888, May 1, 2018.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Up the Irons! Westham United FC--mile high irons Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been playing for years but am new to the world of pedals. I started a reggae project a year or two ago and started with a tuner, sadowsky pre and rarely a boss cs-2 (humphrey). Another change in my playing is I am playing almost exclusively fretless now.

I Would love to get a tube compressor such as the MB compressore, and perhaps a graphic eq or a pre that has some mid controls along with my tuner. Is a tube pre necessary in addition to the tube comp?.

Also would love to get some opinions of how the compressore sounds with fretless on both rounds and flats as I use both in various settings.

I am looking for a times a fat warm reggae sound(one jazz with flats ) and at times ( a second jazz with rounds) a more cutting fusion fretless sound with a cleaner attack and more sustain.

I use a 4 string fretless jazz bass into a little mark II head and 1 or 2 X12 cabinets.

I have read great things about the compressore but have not actually tried it. Also curious about the 10 band eq pedal by whirlwind or mxr. One pre that I loved back in the day was the Alembic(rack) but I can't quiet remember it too well (its been a few decades).

Any suggestions , especially on fretless , appreciated!
    Thank you TB
    Pbass888

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Alembic FX-1 (their legendary preamp) is basically a Fender tone stack tube preamp.

I would also encourage you to check out the EHX BlackFinger compressor. It sort of acts as a tube pre as well as a compressor.

And, honestly, with a Jazz bass, if you want to go back and forth between dub and modern, it's as simple as using the bass the way it was designed.

For the dub stuff, turn the bridge pickup off. Dial down the tone knob more than halfway. Pluck near the neck. Instant dub.

For the more modern tone, dime the bridge pickup. Dial back the neck pickup some, if not all the way. Set the tone knob to taste. Pluck closer to the bridge. Instant cutting modern tone. Worked for Jaco.

Here's the only caveat to doing this. You will be a sound guy's worst nightmare. :D If you go from thumping booming dub low tones to cutting mid heavy jazz tones getting you permanently dialed into the mix will be a struggle (to put it mildly). The band as a whole will sound completely different with your two different tones. The beginning of whatever song you start next with the "other" tone will be a stark change from the last. And it will take him a second to get a handle on it.

pbass888 likes this.
  3. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver

Two fingers thanks for the note.... I am not looking for both sounds (fat and also biting.. on the same gig (lol)). I have one fretless jazz with flats for reggae and another fretless jazz for more fusion stuff. I have not checked out the EHX yet but I will try to find one here locally to play.It sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I want to warm up my solid state head and also add some compression.

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah! That makes sense. Yeah, in that case, just use the Jazz for what it's designed for.... versatility.

Yeah I love my BlackFinger. The adjustable input and output gain really let you dial in the amount of warmth you're looking for. I like the "Normal" and "Lamp" settings. I dial the input gain until it breaks up and then back down just a hair. Compression and volume to taste. Fat and warm without being muddy.

pbass888 likes this.
  5. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    Thank you two fingers! Anyone else have similar/other suggestions?

6. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Empress comp.