1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass compressore @ 12v?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Can you run the Markbass Compressore at 18v for more headroom? Sorry for the wrong thread title.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IME it has very high headroom at 12v, no need to use 18. Are you getting distortion with yours?

3. Yeah, but it has only been recently. I am using a t-Rex fuel tank chameleon. I know it only puts out 300ma and the MB wants 600ma but I didn't notice it in the past.

It could be anything really. Tonight I was running through a small pa with a bunch other instruments and the other night I was playing a single coil bass through my regular amp and was getting all kinds of hum from the compressor, but it seemed to be more than I have experienced in the past. I need to sit down and do some diagnosing, but any advice is of course helpful.

I do have an open 18v and wouldn't mind opening up a 12v slot on the power supply.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Hum" is not distortion and it would not be related to the voltage. You were probably just in an EMF-noisy environment, with that single-coil bass, and the hum that the bass picked up was amplified by the compressor. This would happen with even the highest-headroom compressor.

While you examine everything to diagnose the problem, try to move the rig to different rooms, or different parts of the room, or even a different building, to see how the sound changes. Try to write down exactly how the noises sound, and whether they sound like anything else you've heard (e.g. more like electrical humming, more like overdrive, more like glitchy scratching, etc.). Does the hum/noise change when you play, like does it get worse when you play harder, does it go away when you play quietly or stop? Plug your bass in, but turn its volume knob all the way down; what happens to the noise?

5. knuppe

knuppe

Oct 25, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I´ll have to ask the same question, but with a twist. I only have one spot available on my power supply, and it is either an 9V an 18V. No 12V outputs available. Can the Markbass Compressore be run on either 9V or 18V? And of course, which one would be best? Bongomania? :)

6. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Zombie Thread!!!
    Can a MarkBass Compressore be powered off of an 18v slot on a DC Brick?
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    Johno!

7. J. Wes

J. Wes

Sep 2, 2014
    Palestine, TX
    I'd like to know this as well. I think we are all having the same problem...not enough 12v outlets on power supplies!!!

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I want to know as well, if I can run a coupling power cable from my voodoo labs 4 x 4 (two 9v 300ma outlets) to the markbass.

9. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    btw bongomania your reviews are what made me buy the compressore, great pedal.