1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Compressore Buzz/Static Noise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rmars, May 28, 2012.

1. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Hey ya'all. I have a two year old Markbass Compressore that is making a static and buzzing sort of noise. The noise is constant but sometimes there are bad moments of added static (that's the best way I can describe it). The noise goes away when the pedal is switched off or removed from my signal chain. I once had a bad tweeter that made a similar noise but you can hear this plain as day (even worse) thru headphones and even if I roll the tweeter all the way off my cab.

I originally thought it was a bad cable and then thought the tube had become microphonic because when I tapped the pedal with my fingers over the tube it would make quite a bit of noise and the footswitch seemed to be kind of loud. the pedal makes the noise with no cable or bass plugged into the input and for the record I have checked all my cables. The volume and gain or at noon or just under. I have it set so the volume is just slightly louder or the same than when the pedal is off.

I opened the pedal and found the tube was only halfway plugged into the socket. I remove the tube and cleaned the terminals with Deoxite on a pipe cleaner and used a small airbrush cleaning brush to clean the socket with small dabs of Deoxite. Still made the noise. I replace the JJ ECC81 with a JJ ECC83 that was good and the noise continued.

Today I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12V 1.5A power supply and tried it and the noise is still there.... actually the plug adapter is a bit long and it added a hum so it was worse! LOL!

I am questioning the footswitch because even though the solder joints look good where it's attached to the circuit board the footswitch is loose and moves on the terminals. Maybe that's normal. I though maybe the footswitch just plugged on because it was loose but it doesn't appear to. The switch kind of looks like the one pictured.

I ordered the pedal from GC May 23, 2010 and Markbass has a 2 year warranty so I'm not sure how lenient they would be for warranty repair but I'll contact them tomorrow. Just wondered if there was anything I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is possible for the legs of the switch to break loose from the solder without a visible outward sign (without a magnifying lens). It absolutely should not be loose-feeling. I would re-flow all of its solder points.

3. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Thanks bongo.

Sorry if I didn't explain it better. The legs are firmly soldered to the circuit board but they are loose where they go into the bottom of the switch. If I wiggle the switch I can see it slide slightly up and down on the legs. It has a mark or line on the metal that looks like maybe they had been bonded into the switch casing.

So your saying the legs should be firmly attached to the switch and there should be no movement there at all? If so I'm sure i could replace the switch if I could get a replacement.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, that looseness in the switch itself makes me suspicious, and it would be worth at least contacting MB to confirm whether that's normal for the switch they use. Or just replace it, if you can find the right part.

5. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Well Markbass told me to contact VST Service. No one has had an answer about the switch they just wanted me to send it in. I did ask if they would take care of the pedal being that the pedal is 5 days out of warranty and it sounds like they will. I emailed them a copy of the receipt and filled out the online service request form so I'm just waiting for a RA# at this point. This pedal is so a part of my tone I hate to be without it for my gigs this week and would have been happy to repair it myself if someone would have answered my question about the switch. Guess I need to buy a back up compressor. Bet you've never had to say that bongomania!

Thanks for all your help. I actually bought the pedal based on your reviews.

6. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Just posting a follow up;
    VST Service turned around my Compressore within two business days once they received it. They were also cool and repaired it under warranty thought it was a few days out of warranty. I have had companies refuse under similar circumstances and while it was in their right I thought they were being petty. I explained the situation to the guy at VST and he put me on hold for a minute and came back and said it was cool, they would take care of me. Gotta say I'm impressed with the service I received.

Pedal works great, it's really quite and sounds fantastic. I think it's had this issue longer than I realized, just mistook it for a noisy tweeter on my old cabs. Packing list says they replace the mai pcb so I assume that means the circuit board.

Anyway my hats off to VST and Markbass for taking care of a me!

7. dluoma

dluoma

Feb 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    My compressore is doing the exact same thing. Started at church last Sunday so I had to play with it off, which sucked. I assumed it was the tube because i taped it like you. Have had a chance to change it yet. I've had it for about three years so no warranty. I wonder if it is even cost effective to have it repaired.

8. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    They will give you a quote before repairing it. It's a $200 pedal so if it cost $50-$75 it would be worth it to me. VST Service was great to deal with and turned it around QUICK. Good luck!

9. dluoma

dluoma

Feb 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do yo have a number for service?

10. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
  11. mars,
    I'm looking at getting one of these pedals myself. How long after the pedal was new did you first notice this issue?

12. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    2 years... almost to the day I bought it. For the record I have problems with everything so don't hold it agains Markbass! I take good care of my stuff but I am a defect magnet. :(

Great pedal, I've gigged it a ton since it's was repaired and it's works perfect! Haven't heard of many others having issues with them so I don't think this is a common issue.

13. dluoma

dluoma

Feb 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    Mine acted up about 3 years... Been in a pedal case since I bought it. Dead quiet before and the best bass comp I've ever owned