MarkBass Compressore

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexformetal, Jan 29, 2020.

1. alexformetal

alexformetal

Dec 5, 2007
    France
    Hi there!
    There are 2 versions of the MarkBass Compressore pedal.
    The old version, made in Italy
    The newer (current) version, made in Asia...
    Both look a bit different...
    But my question is : do they sound different? If yes, so which one is the best?

A seller argues that the first model, is superior than the new one because the components are probably of better quality etc...
    Anyone could help for this ? I want to buy one, but if there's a difference I want the best one....

Thanks!!

2. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Mine is from the first generation and sounds fantastic. Never tried the new version, have you? I’d try it if I could. Hard to believe it sounds bad, unless there are significant modifications on its circuit.

Driven Crane and alexformetal like this.
  3. I have the original version and as others have said it's awesome.
    My understanding is the circuit did not change with the new version. I know some folks have an opinion about the change in manufacturing, but i have no experience with the non Italy stuff (my whole markbass rig was from the Italy days).. so can't really say.

Chris

alexformetal likes this.
  4. alexformetal

alexformetal

Dec 5, 2007
    France
    Thanks depalm for your reply! No, I haven't tried the two, and I'd love comparing... Also, have you tried different tubes than the origonal one?... Just curious... Cause different tubes can make huge differences...

5. alexformetal

alexformetal

Dec 5, 2007
    France
    Thanks ChrisOnjian for your kind reply!
    What would you do if you didn't have this compressore : buy the old model, used, for 120 box or the new one, also "second hand" for the exact same cost? (120 box)

6. Honestly, without knowing any better I'd probably just get the new version. Unless the Ovnilab.com guy came out of retirement and did a review/comparison of the old and new versions I'd just do that.

alexformetal likes this.
  7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Never tried to swap tubes on mine. It sounds so good that I have no reason to do that.
    This pedal is just great at doing smooth compression.

8. Just picked one up and first impressions are very good! Not bothered by the non Italian made issue I've had two Italian made mb's amps that gave up the ghost quickly enough so....not sure it matters so much...

9. Hi guys,

Im considering the Compressore......

never had any experience with tubes. Are they 'delicate', prone to breaking? Do you have to replace them from time to time? Is that an easy thing to do with the compressore?

thanks !

Zbysek likes this.
  10. Matty Koff

Matty Koff Inactive

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I have one of the original made in Italy ones.. same tube has been in it since I bought it 6+ years ago. In fact, the ONLY issue I've had out of the pedal was a loose grounding ring that's secured to the PCB via the footswitch. I had to take the cover off the pedal and tighten down a nut where the footswitch was connected to the PCB. Been fine ever since.

If you should ever have to replace the tube it's simple enough.. might be some hot glue, but you gently work it out of the socket by pulling and perhaps rocking and replace with the same kind of tube. Doesn't have to be the same brand..though a different brand might provide a slightly different flavor. But it does need to be an ECC81 tube.

It's likely the only easily replaced part in the pedal though..but like I said.. mine has been working fine for years.

*edit* searching around.. won't be able to source one of these new unless you go for B-stock from Thomann in the UK.

It's an awesome compression pedal, albeit quite proprietary in design.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Billyears IV and Zbysek like this.
  11. The all steel casing makes this pedal very robust. Preamp tubes being small and light means they are very well anchored and it would take crazy amount of pedal abuse to loosen it and cause damage. I have had this with power stage valves Very occasionally. I imagine the compressore will go for many many many years without needing a replacement and if it does need on it is a simple job. I wouldn't consider it a delicate pedal. When used and warm it could pay to be more careful with it perhaps......;). I found this pedal later than most but it's great !!!

Phaidrus, Billyears IV and Zbysek like this.
  12. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    I have a 1st gen one and it's going strong for over 10 years.

It's been used extensively, on my pedalboard, been rackmounted in a drawer, used standalone directly over the floor, all sorts of conditions. Still got the original tube and power supply, and thankfully never had an issue.

IMO, it's very robust and the way the knobs are recessed protects it very well from any stress. I can throw it in my gigbag and the settings will remain the same when I take it out.

Regarding tube swapping, it's good to note that the tube is not being used as a gain stage like usually is the case. Being so, changing it's tube will not provide a as drastic or pronounced change in tone as experienced when swapping a preamp tube for instance.

13. Thanks man, thats helpful to know

14. cheers, appreciated

15. thanks for that

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've owned and used both. I currently have the 2nd gen version. They sound identical to my ears with the same basses. I prefer the form factor of the 2nd Gen since it's a little smaller and fits the board a little better. Still my favorite compressor that I've tried.

Zbysek and Billyears IV like this.
  17. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    After a lot of plenty compressors, i remain with two: Compressore v.1 (my second one) and Maxon CP+9 Pro (mainly as a limiter (or of moderate compression, too) and/or clean booster).

18. I have the older version and it's A++. Warm, thick tones...

19. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Would it make sense to use a Compressore not so much for compression but rather to warm up the sound of a Little Mark III amp?

Billyears IV likes this.
  20. mmm...... Think you'd be best to test it first. I don't have that amp. Whilst there is some warmth with the compressor, I don't notice a huge difference in tone with my Fender rumble.

Some guys here are saying the older models have more pronounced warmth.

But it's subtle. You might have raised expectations and then be disappointed.

If you're after a compression pedal, the the compressor is very good and it's certainly not 'sterile' sounding. But not the best option for a tone shaper alone. This is due out soon:

Phaidrus likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022