1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass effect loop question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hensonbass, Nov 10, 2010.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have heard that Markbass amps have parallel effect loops. I would like to run a separate upright bass preamp into the return jack and have my bass guitar run through the front end input. As long as I have a mute for each instrument would I be able to run the two instruments into this amp, right? And the bass guitar would only be affected by the eq section and not the upright bass?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sorry ken, but the loop doesn't take the pre out of the circuit, not in markbass amps. however, i still don't think it'll work since the front input will see the pre as an effect.

3. It doesn't? I know it is 'pre EQ', so yes, the EQ will still impact it.

Interesting. Sorry for the misinformation. That is a bit unusual.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ya, markbass is the only company i know of that does that.

5. Just tried it... you are right! It's a shame they put that pre EQ, or it would be perfect for what the OP wants to do.

I deleted my post.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I tried doing this when I got my first LMII. I thought I could use my upright bass preamp into the effects return and go directly into the power amp bypassing the eq in the LMII, like I've done with almost every amp I've ever owned. But no! Everything goes through the preamp section.

7. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks.

8. basscheez

basscheez

Nov 6, 2008
    Cleveland, Oh
    On the LMII you can change it to a series loop via internal jumper - would that help?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    nope. it still goes before the eq.

as an upright doubler my own self, i think the best way to do it is with an aby switch since you already have a separate pre for the upright. just adjust your upright pre to compensate for whatever eq you have on the lmii.

10. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Nah, I just need to find another option for an amp.

11. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Well, some Markbass amps have a separate balanced input as well, like LittleMark II and LittleMark Tube... Why can't you use a DI box into the balanced input?

12. That will result in the same issue.... the tone controls impacting both instruments the same. However, if that issue is not a deal killer, the new LMTube now has a combo jack allowing XLR or 1/4" input with its own volume control and switchable phantom power... nice for a doubler there, although the EQ issue is still the same.

Another solution is to build a two channel Momark, which two separate channels with tone controls for each.

13. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland

You're absolutely right, got it. Thanks.