1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass F-500 in the house!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Wilson, Apr 27, 2009.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, so I was perusing Musicians Friend last week and saw they had the new F500 in stock so I had to order it. Given they're showing as out of stock now I'm guessing they only got a handful in. I've been using an LM II for 18 months+, and an F1 for last couple of months so I'm very familiar with the Markbass sound.

I'd mostly used the LMII. I've loved the F1 sound for the modern J tone, but to be honest found it slightly too tight/bright for my tastes when used with other tight/bright sounding basses such as my Status. So I was really interested in the semi parametric features of the F500 and how they might help this.

As expected, F500 is exactly same chassis size as the F1. It has more yellow than the F1 :) since that's the color used to identify the frequency center part of the eq control.

The high mid and high have been combined into one frequency range - it covers from 700hz to 6khz. I didn't really use the high control on the F1, and instead relied more on the VLE knob to roll off high end when needed, so don't think I'll miss it.

The mute push/pull doesn't feel quite as substantial as I had hoped for, but it works fine. There's still a very slight amount of sound let through with mute engaged but much less than on, say, the Eden wt800. I probably won't use the mute much anyway, since I tend to mute using tuner or vol pedal when needed.

Quick tests have found me turning the bass center freq knob left 90% and the low mid freq right 25% from center. I've been able to get a more pleasing sound for my Status. With eq controls centred, F1 and F500 sounded the same to me. I'm not sure what other testing I'll do in my house, but I'll certainly be gigging it Friday night. While it's really more of an evolutional rather than revolutional improvement over the F1 these changes make it much more useful for me and so I'm pretty certain I'll be keeping this.

Here's the F1 and F500 stacked.

f2.

Here's the rear shot:

f2Rear.

Also, they had the Markbass F series amp bag in stock as well so I had to order one of those too. Saved me from shelling out nearly $150 for a custom Mooradian, which I'm sure would have been the bees knees but I've had no problems with the Markbass gig bags so far.

f1inbag.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! Congrats. They took one of the best amps I've ever experienced and seemingly made it even better. Enjoy!

3. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Nice David...
    Are you using the AE our UL cab mostly with the Mb heads?

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I believe the treble control is now on the concentric bass knob. So, there is still a four band section. Also, if the published specs are to be believed, they mored the treble and bass control center freq's in a bit, which I think is a positive.

K

5. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice. Thinking about unloading that F1 now?

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Markbass stuff never really impressed me tonally, but given all of the great features on their current micro amps, I might need to give them a spin. I'll hold off until reports of the LMTube and LMTube 800 come in before pulling any triggers.

Glad you're digging the 500.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you are correct, my bad. Looks like the High has come down to 4K from 10k, which is more where I like it anyway. Bass seems to be the same, at 40hz

Here's the manual that covers both F1 and F500: http://www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=127

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    mostly the AE410, but I still use the UL310 a decent amount too for smaller stages.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Very cool. That 4K makes more sense to me. They moved the bass up on the new LM's a bit, which I guess makes sense, since the F1 is a bit tighter down there anyway.

Enjoy. That is just a wonderful spec all the way around.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    no doubt,

but how can anyone resist two bands of semi para action in a box that'll fit in your gig bag!?

course, imagine how much cleaner it probably sound w/o those silly vpf vle knobs muddying up the signal chain. ;)

11. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    Nice rig.....I been using the same rig for about a year.310 & F1. I was also waiting on
    The F500 But could'nt wait any longer....Plus i hardly tweak the amp.

Best of luck on the head.

12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Thanks for the info on these two heads. The F500 has me jonesing a bit, but I may just have to grab an F1 if one is up used and I have the scratch.

I'm taken with semiparametric eq and the shift in high freq. Otherwise, I need to try out an F1.