1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass F1 / F500 tone, but more power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Apr 18, 2010.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I love everything about the tone of the Markbass F1 & F500, but would like to have at least 450 to 600W at 8ohm and 800 to 1200W at 4ohm (more is better).

Anything like that out there?

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd consider a Markbass preamp at the point you're talking about that much juice. One of the new ultralight power amps would make for a nice rig.

Alternatively, the F1's output might have enough output to drive some of them :)

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
  4. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

I have the same issue with the F500, sounds spectacular with my UL410, just not enough headroom.
    If you really dig that articulate F500 sound, do yourself a favor and try a Carvin B2000 it's everything I wished any of my MarkBass amps would have been. Plus being 2 ohm capable is just extra security. With a solid return policy, buy American and save some very serious $. All this is just IMHO of course. :meh:

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    So the B2000 can be made to sound very close to the F500?

6. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

IMHO yes, only + headroom, headroom, headroom.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Pricey, it is.
    If I were interested in spending that much, I'd go ahead and get a Mike Pope MPP-1 http://www.michaelpopedesign.com/scrolls/product_mpp1intro.html
    While I'm mentioning an excellent 1 rackspace preamp, why don't more companies offer high-powered 1 rackspace power amps?
    I mean, we can make cell phones smaller than a man's wallet that can do everything but your laundry... :rolleyes:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I've been following the B2000 & BX1500 threads.
    I think I would have to order both and then send one back after checking them out, if I went down the Carvin road (which sounds like a pretty good idea, actually).

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You could try out the F1 as a preamp. :)

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if you like the tone of an F1 but need more power, you could run it as a preamp into an crown xti2000 (2K watts bridged mono @4 ohms).

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    +1. I tried this with my F1 into one of the new lightweight Carvin power amps, the 1540 L and it was way lots of power. In fact, I thought that I really did'nt need that much into my GB Neox 212T, so I sold the power amp ! Really, the F1 is just as light, if not lighter than most bass preamps. My next rig will feature a rack mounted F1 with a Carvin BX1500. Lotsa possibilities there in a 20 lb rig ! :bassist:

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I have a few 4 ohm cabs and would like to use F1 with 2 of em at a gig. I bought a LMII recently with plans to use the effects send/return from F1 to LMII. It works, I tried it at home into 2 cabs.

But the idea of the F1 as a pre into a power amp sounds like a better way to go. I'd want to keep the power amp light weight, 1U-2U and maybe around 800-1000 watts should do.

What power amps should I consider, using two 4 ohm cabs? And will the F1 work with most any poweramp as a pre? Sorry if I'm hi-jacking abit but this may help the OP as well. Good thread. Thanks all.

13. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    just had a thought. I already have a B1500. Could I hookup the F1 to this Carvin head to use the F1 as the pre? Myself and OP, if he buys a B2000, would then have a super, powerful F1 or just a Carvin head as choices.

If this is do-able, how would I connect the F1 into the B1500 to bypass B1500 pre and use F1 as the pre. Sorry for the double dip in this thread but this could be a no cost alternative for me.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you'd just run the preamp out of the F1 into the receive (aka effects return) of the B1500, bypassing the B1500's preamp.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, you can split your bass signal into two F1's, for double the power in a still-pretty-small package. Much smaller than adding a 2RU power amp to an F1. Heck, three F1's together is no bigger than a rack of one f1 and a 2RU power amp.

Genz amps are designed for this kind of master/slaving, but for MB heads you might need an external splitter box (small and cheap).

16. I have not heard the SD1200 yet, but initial reports are that it is more like a HUGE sounding F500 than a more powerful SD800. That's based on second hand info, but I too greatly disliked the SD800 and absolute adore the F1/F500. That head might be worth a try. I understand they are making it into GC's as we speak, and will be shipping from MF in May.

K

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    That would be outstanding if that is true -- guess we'll know fairly soon.

18. +1 I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open with this one. 1200 watts (and real Markbass watts, not bull**** watts:bassist:) at 7 pounds and $1,000... what is not to like about that?

However, I disliked the SD800 so much that I'm a bit hesitant on this one (and I don't really need all that power). I may order one up from MF. I'll know within three notes what the deal is, and can easily return it if it just turns out to be a slightly more powerful SD800. They supposedly start shipping on 4/30.

19. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006

+1...

According to MB it is the exact same design as the SD800, but I choose to remain in denial and plan to audition one soon.

I really liked the quickness of the F500 (thanks Ken). The attraction to more watts for me (beyond the need for driving power hungry Acmes) is that it should yield greater dynamic range/expression for a given volume as well.