Markbass F1 No Output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougParkinson, Apr 4, 2017.

1. So I picked this up today as a bit of a risk. $50 for a markbass f1 that would power up but has no output. Mainly looking to see if anyone has encountered this before or not.

With a speakon cable hooked up and cable plugged in when I flip the power switch on or off I get a "speaker movement" pop from the cabinet (best way I can describe the sound) otherwise no output. The fan is running currently without an issue. I tried running a cable off the direct out and there is no signal coming out of the direct out either. Thinking it might be an issue with the preamp circuit board being bad potentially?

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Does it have an effects loop? If so try plugging a bass or another preamp into it and see if you get any sound from it. If you get a clear sound from it then it has a preamp problem.
    Either way it sounds like its off to the shop to get it fixed unless you have some skills in repairing amps.

3. Thanks man! I'll give that shot. Honestly hoping it isn't something huge. If I had to install a preset preamp board that's within my skill level, soldering a circuit board probably not something I want to tackle.

4. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Usually when something sells for cheap like that there's something wrong with it that either the original owner couldnt fix, didnt want to fix or already took it to a tech and found that it was going to be really expensive. Good luck with it!!!

5. Hey Doug.

I bought a second-hand F500 a few months ago. Plugged in the speakon cable that worked perfectly on my GK MB500 and had exactly the same experience as you, slight speaker pop when powering up the F500 but no output. Guy I bought it from suggested trying my instrument cable instead of the speakon, and that worked. I ended up buying a Neutrik speakon cable (on his recommendation) which works perfectly, but there's something about the generic speakon I originally tried that just would not work. Perhaps experiment with a different cable?

6. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    But if he isnt getting any signal from the DI that usually points to being a preamp problem.

The easiest things to try would be the preamp out of the F1 into either the effect return of another amp or the inpit of a power amp to see if there is a preamp problem and either a bass, effect send of another amp or output of an ipod or something similar into the effect return of the F1 and try the Neutrik aS both a Neutrik and 1/4" into a cabinet. That'll help isolate the problem to either the preamp or power amp or even both.

7. Yeah even at $50 it was worth the risk. Looks like I have an email back from markbass already so will see what the have to offer, definitely will be giving your suggestion a try about the effects loop.

Bim1959 likes this.
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

IIRC this is a Class D amp. I would take the amp to a MB tech guy and get an estimate for the repair. It might just be something that’s a cheap and easy repair.

9. So I ran my bass (passive j bass) direct into the effects return and there is very faint signal there. Was going to try to run into a mixer first and then into that just to boost the input signal a bit more see if that gets me anywhere. But yeah MB has apparently like one service center in the united states or something so its not as simple as just finding a tech who can work on it apparently unless someone knows anyone in the San Antonio/Austin Area.

10. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022