1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MarkBass F1...so percussive...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chavezding, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ...and punchy! I love the tone I get out of it. Sounds like cannon balls dropping on a metal deck when slapping.

Help me understand, how does an amp get this punchy?

My settings on this amp is almost flat. Maybe the lo mid at 1 o'clock. VLF @ 9 o'clock.

I can't get that tone from my Boss GT6B pedal board no matter what I try.

I am so hooked on the F1 sound. The SD800 is good too but not the same.

Markbass F1 owners chime in?

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Out of the MB amps I've played, I liked the F1 the most. I don't own one, but if I did, it would be the F1. Someone who knows the specs will chime in shortly I'm sure to answer your question. Nice punchy tone from that amp though.

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

To provide that level of "punchiness" the amp must have a large dynamic range and excellent power supply design to be able to provide the huge current surge required to power each transient.

Since low frequencies require much more power than mids and highs, it is a real accomplishment for an amp to be able to do this, repetitively and for hours on end.

Part of the secret of the MB sound IS their switching power supply design.

It is also nice that great speakers are made that let us HEAR those dynamics!

4. Yeah, I'm using the Aquilar GS412 cab at 4ohms. I'm sure that adds to it.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Absolutely, which is why the F1 rolls off so much actual low end. Don't take that to be a bad thing, it's just the reality. That amp does not put out much in the way of real bass response. It has tons of upper-bass and low-mid content, but that super quick, tight, punchy tone is a result of not having that pillow-like content underneath. Some people absolutely love it, others might consider it a compromise in design. It's completely preferential.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    nice, makes sense to me...

the F1 is one of the few MB amps i really dig.