1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass F1 vs LM250 Black Line

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drpepper, Apr 22, 2015.

1. A few months back, I got GAS for a Markbass as a good pairing with my Schroeder 212PL. I had a chance to try an F500 with it and then an opportunity to really sit down and plug in and compare some various heads, including a LMIII. I came away from that deciding to watch the classifieds for a LMIII, F1, F500 or Big Bang…whichever came first, I'd go for.

While waiting, I decided to grab a new LM250 BL, as an antacid. I figured with the MF return policies, it would probably be going back.

With the LM250 BL in hand, I kind of slacked off on the search (to beyond the return period). Because I seem to be cursed with an inability to stop looking through the classifieds, I ended up getting an F1 from another TBer.

In the time since I've gotten the LM250, I've also read (with more interest than I used to) Markbass posts, and noticed some posters claiming significant sound differences between all of these Markbass heads (LMII, LMIII, F1, F500, Big Bang, LM250 BL). Stuff like "NO comparison," "X is MUCH warmer than Y," "HUGE difference," etc.

Yesterday, I got the eq and volume matched up and spent an hour or so going back and forth. They both sound great. And the LM250 is loud enough for anything I'm doing...

All I can say now is that I'm glad that I can be relatively sure that no one is going to blindfold me and force me to say which Markbass is which at gunpoint. I wouldn't be able to do it.

I know hearing is more subjective than we usually realize, but that doesn't stop me from having a hard time with things like "MUCH _____er" or "HUGE difference."

I think I'll set up a mic and record switching back and forth from a looper...

Jnagol likes this.