1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass F500 and Tecamp Puma 500 How do they compare ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Apr 18, 2010.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    Sound wise etc.

The Puma 500 is at the top of my budget. There's about a £100 difference in the two.

Thanks !

2. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Personally, I like and own the Puma 500. Great Amp! Two different amps. To me, the Puma is a lil warmer than the F500.

3. Hello!

I own and dig both and have a number of comparisons between the two heads posted on my youtube channel.

In a nutshell, the Puma extends MUCH deeper (huge, deep, low end extension that really gets the speakers pistoning) and also extends way up in the sizzle range in the upper treble region. EQ points are excellent for adding burp, etc. The F500 is tighter and more mid punchy, and not quite as sizzly up top, although I find I can get to about 80% of the Puma's low end and top end and smooth, creamy mids by engaging the F500's VPF filter (contour) at around 9 o'clock (which extends the low end and treble and smooths the mids).

Both are great. I find the F500 really works for me better on the gig, since it is tighter and more focused (and hence sounds louder in a mix). That super wide, extended frequency response of the Puma sounds AMAZING at home, and also in more 'refined contexts' (jazz trio work, etc.), but tends to sound a little less punchy and defined in denser mixes/more aggressive music contexts.

Both are A+ units though, and I totally dig them both for what they are. If someone would put a gun to my head and said I could only keep one, it would be the F500 though.

4. +1 also in that the Puma, even though it is almost the definition of 'hi fi' as we use that term on Talkbass, has a wonderful warmth to it... an almost 'clean tube' low end (HUGE) and an upper treble response that is the definition of 'sweet'... very extended, but never harsh or ganky or cloying.

5. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    Thanks for your comments.

I'm probably going to get a MB F500. There's no UK distributer for Tecamp, so getting hold of a Puma is pretty awkward at the moment. Whereas I can get an F500 tomorrow !

6. It's a great amp... tons of tone control, tight, punchy, small and loud, nice DI. Post up if/when you get it.

What cab/bass will you be using with it?