1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass F500... is it missed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    This little amp to me was one of their better amps.

Has a great feature set, nice size, great tone from what I'm reading. You think they messed up not keeping this in the product line ?

Any long time users of this amp still love it?

I'll be trolling the classifieds for a used one myself as a contrast to my Streamliner. My Shuttlemax 9.2 is great but its in a rack with a bunch of stuff & I'd like to have something small as a backup.

GK MB500 close enough?

[​IMG]

2. A few of them wound up in skips thanks to repairing being more expensive than replacing.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Still loving mine. Loved it so much, I bought two of them (one to keep in a remote location). I did sell one (since I do less work on the road at this point), but will most likely never sell the other.

IMO, one of the best amps ever made, based on reliability, tone, and feature set. I have literally hundreds of gigs on mine (if you count the F1 that it replaced!).

Edit: IMO, the GK MB500 has little in common with the F500 (that doesn't mean better or worse, just that it sounds completely different)

4. + 1

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hah, you are really on a anti-Markbass crusade at the moment:D

I admit I am VERY unimpressed with the GK reliability record (realize you are a fan of that brand), so we will call it even:D I understand this kind of stuff can get personal. I gigged GK for about a decade.

Again, at this point, the MAXIMUM Markbass repair cost(completely replacing the board, and labor+ shipping) is around $250 ($120 cost for the board, + labor). So, the previous post makes no sense, since the F500 sold for around $750.

Back on topic, the F500 is just a stunning amp IMO. VERY few repair posts, and a wonderful combination of massive features (dual semi-parametric midrange, very usable filters, and very honest power ratings), and mega reliability, and wonderful, even 'non goosed' tone IMO and IME.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

7. GK micros probably go in the bin when they run out of warranty too. I'm an equal opportunity micro amp detractor! If my Trace ever goes titsup I could have problems with one of the IC's in the compressor, discontinued :(

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think I would really like this head, damn shame they discontinued it. The F1 is missing crucial features & the F500 wasn't around long enough so theres not tons of these in the classifieds.

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think the massive amount of knobs and those small concentric knobs kind of scared buyers off. No company eliminates products that sell and make money.

Those three, tiny concentric EQ controls were IMPOSSIBLE to tweak during a gig. I never, ever touch a knob during a gig, but many do. So, I kind of get it. But, still, one of the best heads I've ever owned (and I've owned pretty much everything:p).

That all being said, your Shuttle Max 9.2 (as you can hear from my clip) will get you there, and is still VERY lightweight. I think you are set!

10. Missed that news, still, compared to picking up a used one, repairing is up there.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D +1 Definitely not a world of 'buy and use for 30 years any more'. I get that, and can't disagree.

Of course, check out what a re-tubing of an SVT costs today, and that puts things in perspective (i.e., the good old days were not as good as some remember). I remember a ROOM full of Ampeg and GK (full size amps) stacked for repair in dealerships rooms back in the 80's:smug:

bass nitro likes this.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This is a complex topic. Does that mean repairs are unreasonable, or that the cost of buying one of these new is STUPID cheap. I'm a fan of the latter.

Again, I would think there are VERY few repairs that cost much less than $120 in parts these days. I do understand that if you paid $1,500 for an amp, that would seem more reasonable than if you paid $599 for an amp, but that is a totally different 'denominator' discussion.

Interesting discussion, and it translates across all product categories. Is a $200 repair of a $600 unit 'more expensive' than a $200 repair of a $1,200 unit. The answer: yes and no:D

13. My issue is they seem to want to make a big profit on supplying the spare part boards. To my mind they should be happy to supply close to cost to keep their duff amp running and their good name intact. If they don't want to carry spares inventory past warranty they should have the disclaimer out in public. "They" being micro amp manufacturers in general.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Full board replacement for Markbass amps is $120 (parts) So, don't really agree.

Most other micro brands haven't been out long enough to even have out of warranty repairs!

Edit: I enjoy the topic, and this is a worthwhile discussion,. I don't pretend to have the 'final answer'.

15. I would imagine at this time quite a few micro amps from any manufacturer are being trashed. Replacement units for the most part make more sense in today's thinking. Tight Class D and SMPS are repairable (if the basic info is made available) and component level repairs may become more common. That is if the basic components are not obsoleted.
    I don't personally believe this board's posts for any brand is anything more than a micro sample with no real failure to units actually sold being available. To call any brand Uber reliable by the sampling here is just being silly (JIMHO). ;) No offence intended here.
    I just take issue with a manufacturer refusing to provide basic service info. They have patents available that will protect a design they independently engineered, without supplying basic info we can only "take their word" for this claim. I hope MarkBass does resolve these warranty issues as many owners really like them. As far as after warranty, car manufacturers are required to supply replacement parts for 10 years. After 10 years they dump all but the most largest volume parts. People pay a lot more for their transportation than a bass amp. :D

16. The price may be $120 now but it used to be up around $450 for a repair, hence my earlier bin comment.

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I don't think this is the case. I don't think repair is a profit center for the manufacturer. Selling more units is. If the repair costs are relatively high compared to the original selling price, it is more about:

a) the original sales price amortizes the individual board cost
    b) create/perpetuate the disposable/upgrade mentality

In general you see more of that as you go to bigger manufacturers. The real small shops certainly don't want to have stuff come back, and if it does they often will go the extra mile to make sure the customer is well taken care of. Some of that is reflected in the higher prices. For larger manufacturers, they will contract out and then you have a middle-man in the process. That may or may not impact price though as there are associated costs with handling thing in-house as well.

18. Not really. Opposing point of view to encourage independent research, guilty. :)

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm with you there! No harm, no foul!

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thst was a single, strange incident, made famous by my buddy JimmyM! Definitely true, but an old'one off'