1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass, GK, etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Dec 10, 2006.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Has anyone done a A/B with markbass LMII, GK 1001, Focus 2, or similar size/watt heads? Im not looking for tone comparisons but volume.

What is the loudest head in this range?
    Thanks.

btw, I did run a search, found lots of info but not what I was looking for.

2. homerplaysbass

homerplaysbass

May 18, 2005
    Preston
    Hi inazone,

I've owned a LMII and now have a GK1001RBII head. The GK is significantly louder through my Epifani UL310 cab.

3. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    I can't speak to the LMKII, but I have a Focus 2RIII and a GK 1001RB(series one with an undated power section (blue led), and the GK is definitely the louder of the two...but not the cleaner sounding...:eyebrow:

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have a GK1001rb11. It is the loudest amp I have ever owned. I also own an Eden WT-1205, as far as volume goes the GK leaves the Eden in the dust. I have never tried the Markbass or the Focus. If volume is your main concern you would have to look long and far to find an amp louder than the 1001rb11.

5. Aval2ach

Aval2ach

Jul 14, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    I've done A/B test with 1001RB-II and MarkBass LMK.

GK is much more louder, more versatile. I guess it also would cut through better than Mark.

6. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

If you want loud, try the mark bass sd800, it's rated 750 watts RMS.! it is loud and clear. You can turn that sucker up all the way with no distortion. I like it alot better than my 1001rbII

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thanks guys for your help.

Just for a bit of background,
    Ive had the LMII for about a week and Im on the fence on taking it back. I need a small head to take to different jams/practices/gigs where the DB750 is overkill an my pre/power rig is too much. Ive used the LMII for three practices with three different groups of people. It was loud enough for all three groups, one of them the LM was pushing it. I think if I used it on a gig (rock music) I will be running it too hard, wide open.

On a side note, I do agree with others who have said the LMII has a very clear tone but I dont think its near as uncolored as people say it is. The LM works great will my epifani ul410 but sounds a bit low mid muddy with some of my basses and the rest of my cabs.

Im not knocking the LMII, its a great unit and I would recomend it to others, Im just on the fence if it will work for my needs.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I agree with you there, I really like the sd800! But for $600 more than the GK 1001rb and the LMII, Im not sure I want to pay that much when I already have and like a "big rig".

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    My LMII has been more than loud enough for my gigs but then again they aren't rock gigs. I've tried the 1001 and I'm happy with the LMII. I like GK gear and have owned some in the past. I'd take GK over Eden or SWR.

10. In the Past I owned two Markbass Heads. The Little Mark F1 and the S450 Head.

I don´t know really why, but at least I sold them both. My GK Head I owned 6 Months ago gives me all I ever need and want in Sound...

...but, for me there was never the Wish to get as loud as possible. It was more to get a really good and defined Sound at all.
    Volume is secondary to me. As a Band Player you got to hear all of your Bandmates.

Stage Sound has to be as quiet as possible to get a really good FOH Sound IMO. Don´t you think so? Okay, we´re doing 100% of the Gigs with PA.

11. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I compared both recently at a GC in the Bay Area and I have to say after all the hype I have read and read about the MB stuff, I wasn't sold on it. In fact, I found alot more flexibility in the GK and it was easier for me to dial in with a regular Jazz bass. I should say though that I compared a MB SD-800 to a MB410 and MB115 and then a LM2/MB210 to a GK 1001RB/GK410 and I didn't really mix the heads cabinets but after trying the MB heads and cabs and not really digging it (like I thought I would), I didn't feel I needed to mix anything. So, GK would be my choice out of the two for sure. Not to mention, you can always find used GK's for so cheap so I'd just pocket any extra money and get some other toys..

12. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

I went to GC in San fran this weekend and the 104hf cab was blown, it sounded horribal, I hope that case is rare, I hope mine doesn't start sounding like that.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I haven't tried my LMII with any other MB cab than the 610 at the store. I've used it with most of my cabs and so far it's done exceptionally well.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    How does the LMII compare tone-wise with the AI stuff; say a Focus or a Clarus?

The eq on the Focus isn't real powerful. I like low mids and I see the LMII has a low and high mid while the Focus doesn't. I'm finding it tough to get a nice tone with a passive J bass.

15. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I dunno if the original question is a fair comparison. Perhaps comparing the 700RB-II to the Little Mark II would be better, or yes, the SD800. On paper, they are 200 watts and $150 apart.

When I A/Bed the LMII vs. the GK, I personally felt the LMII was much more versatile especially with the two tone knobs. And when I picked them up imagining I was packing up after practice, the LMII was the one for me. I'm not knocking the GK. I think it's a great amp, especially for rock. Just IMHO.

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    One of the reasons for the comparison between the LMII and the GK 1001rb is that both can be had for $600 new.

17. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Oh, gotcha, well then I think if you're only looking for volume, the GK wins. But I think if you ignore the versatility of tone of the Markbass (VLE/VPF), then you may be missing out on something. Hmmm. I think a Corvette and an BMW 330i are somewhere in the same vicinity price wise. Both are fast. Which one do you like?

18. :hyper:

Dude, I told you months ago to buy the gatdamn GK1001rbII, and yet you insist upon wasting a whole bunch of time and gas driving to GC to buy and ultimately return some amp you ultimately find to be substandard. I've seen your truck, and you're like 15 miles from the closest GC, so this has to have cost you at least $50 in gas and lost productivity.
    I'm sorry to scold you man, but if watching me play your Zon and Modulus through that GK with some Avatars didn't convince you to drive straight from Boulder to the nearest retailer to buy that amp, you need to be wearing a bike helmet when you walk around, for your own safety. There's no way it was just those basses making my no-talent ass sound that good.

:D
    C7

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    am i missing something here?
    The LMII is 500watts and the GK is 700watts. how are they similar/watt ?
    like i say, maybe i am missing something but i would take a rough guess and say the GK is louder

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Your Question:
    Your Answer:
    :D

There's other reasons as well. Some amps can be quite efficient or surprisingly loud for their wattage rating. It's very design-dependent. But yeah, in general, if you plug the same cab into two different amps with different power ratings at the same volume setting, the higher-rated amp should be louder.

Doesn't mean it'll sound great, though - yet another reason for comparison, since whether or not an amp still sounds great when loud is subjective.

I'd normally think of more reasons, but I'm tired... I just finished working on a paper, so some sleep is in order for me :)