1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass + Greenboy hiss

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jvgreene, May 10, 2018.

1. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    I've got an older Markbass LM III running through an f112 built buy Mark Robertson in Nashville. I get a really loud high frequency hiss even when nothing is plugged in to the amp. It's really noticable when the master is past about 10:00-10:30.

It's doesn't bother me too much, just a little anoying between songs and at quieter practices.

I'm thinking it could be the amp. It's old and abused, been repaired once (new gain pot after I dropped it). But, it's the only functional amp I have. Has anyone else experienced this with these cabs and different amps?

Full signal path: ancient King Mortone->fishman full circle-> platinum pro eq->LM3-> f112

Aside from the hiss, I'm really happy with the sound of this rig for the music I play.

2. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    Have tried/borrowed another amp with the cab? I’d start there.

jvgreene likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

The white noise is expected with a full-range cabinet. I get a constant white noise with my SD800/FEARful 12/12/6/1. I never noticed it with any of my previous cabinets, they just don't reproduce that range well. It really isn't noticeable in my opinion, it more so lets me know the amp is on.

jvgreene likes this.
  4. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Last night's gig was pretty rough. Country trio, just acoustic guitar fiddle and me. No drummer. I could hear the hiss over everything.

This morning I went to a local music store and they let me try some different heads. Tried a Peavy mega max or whatever 1000 watt head and it was whisper quiet.

So I guess I got head problems. I know the Mesa d800 and quilter are popular with these cabs. Do they hiss at all?

5. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    What head are you running? That's how it has been for the past few months I've had this speaker. Seems to be getting louder and louder.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I have a Markbass SD800 and I never noticed the issue until I got my fEARful. I, too, thought that something was amiss with my head. If the noise is getting louder, however, that isn't right. Mine is really just a soft hiss, no different than turning your stereo up without playing anything.

jvgreene likes this.
  7. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Alright so this was all my fault.... Input Trim was all the way down on the fishman preamp :banghead:. So I was compensating with output volume and gain on the markbass, adding a bunch of noise, apparently.

But, you know that trim knob is easy to bump when getting it out of my my bag and it's kinda hidden on the side. I Should put some tape on it.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021