1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass Guys, question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickettj, Aug 8, 2012.

1. pickettj

pickettj

Jun 25, 2011
    I'm hoping all of those that joined in on my "what rig should I buy" post don't see this one...I had, what you guys apparently refer to as GAS for Markbass gear. Always have had. I thought I could resist the urge when looking at gear. I looked at Hartke, GK, Fender and even Acoustic (GC Generic brand, not the fancy pants guitar amps). Then I turned the corner and spotted a 104HR cab in the used section in beautiful condition with a price tag that I couldn't resist. I had the guy haul it over and we plugged it in to a little mark III maybe? and it sounded amazing. I was sold. I got it tax paid and with a free speakon cable.

Now that I've shared story time here's my question: I'm currently powering it with my Acoustic b450 combo amp. It is 450 watts alone and 600 (300x2) when connected to another cab. I really don't like this setup for several reasons including the fact that the amp is 2 ohm and the cab is 8. What kind of power should I be looking at for this cab and which MB head would you suggest? I will be rack mounting it no matter what it is for portability and protection. Bars are dangerous places with flousies stumbling around everywhere! Any input would be much appreciated. I don't think that we will EVER need me to upgrade to 2-4x10's so that shouldn't be an issue in the future.

2. This one might be an option.

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    above..I do not think that will give you enough power.
    People are talking about the LM800.maybe a good option
    If you liked the LMIII or II get that
    I had that cab and returned it....not enough oomph in the lows for my liking
    Still love my SA450 and you could look at the modular 500

4. pickettj

pickettj

Jun 25, 2011
    Nah, I know it isn't. I found an awesome deal on the MB SD800. It'll give me 500w with my
    Current cab and a solid 800w if I ever expand. Now I just need the rack ears and a rack to store it in! It never ends! Ha!

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Good score...congrats