1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Head Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lmfreeman9, Apr 26, 2010.

1. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have a minimark combo and a 2 x 10 traveler. I also have 2 heads I want to sell in order to buy one great (tube maybe) markbass head.
    I'm selling my GK 800RB and an Ampeg SVT-200T which I love but is too heavy.

I play mostly blues and classic rock and play out occasionally.

What should I get used from Markbass in the $550-700 range?

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    The LMIII is my favorite in their line up & also the least expensive~

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Maybe either a new Markbass LMIII or a used TA501.

I personally play an SD800 which I love, but they aren`t everyone`s cup of tea.

4. +1 If you want it clean but still warm and fat, you can get a brand new LMIII within your pricerange, and still have money left over for one of those VT pedals if you want a bit of grit and grind.

Another head to consider in your pricerange is the TC Classic450... pretty cool for 'old school' sort of applications... tighter and punchier than the LMIII, although not as extended deep down low and way up top.

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I sold off my Ampeg gear in favor of Markbass/Aguilar. I bought a LMIII new and have loved every second of the clean, versatile, portable tone :)

6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Thanks guys. You were absolutely right. Tried it, loved it, bought it.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Doesn't surprise me. I played through an Ampeg 200T for years and loved it. Nice warm sounding SS head IMO. After it started showing it's age i went through a few different heads and couldn't find one I likes as much until I tried an LMII.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Better than the 800RB?????