1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass... In A Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Dec 23, 2016.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    So, I've got a Markbass combo. I use it for practicing and jams. It's has the LM250 head built in and it's... okay. The other day, I brought the combo to a recording session and ran the head as a preamp direct into the console and it sounded GREAT! I was really surprised and now I'm wondering about how I'd go about relieving myself of what I can only assume is a crappy cabinet and driver (for my tastes) and running only the preamp section into whatever power amp/driver combo I like.

Before I get into the pedals/preamps that I have already been thinking of, let me detail the specs of the LM250 and how I had it dialed in:

LOW: 40hz (Set around 3 o'clock)
    LOW-MID: 360hz (Set to 1:30ish)
    HI-MID: 800Hz (Set to 10:30ish)
    HIGH: 10khz (Set at noon)

I also had the VLE (basically an LPF) on and set around 9:30ish. The bass is a passive PJ-style.

Since MB amps are known for their clarity, the first pedal that came to mind was the MXR M81. IIRC, it's centers are around the same as the LM250, although obviously it only has one MID knob. Seems like the most likely candidate based on that alone. Other contenders are the Orange Terror 1000 head, the Sansamp BDI V2 and Tri-Logic preamp (videos seem pretty great)... I've never tried any of these but have heard them all in various ways and environments. Is there a pedal out there that has the same -or similar- EQ section as the LM250, or something that could be a great substitute? Suggestions are welcome... I should say that I'm not really interested in crazy knob twisters like the TwoNotes though. I think I can handle like 5-6 knobs at most. lol.

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Option 1: get a LMIII head and use it as a DI

Option 2: look for a Markbass Superbooster pedal used $100 ish. And pair it with an EQ pedal.

Option 3: use your combo as a DI while you save funds for something else

3. superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'm confused by these suggestions. Why wouldn't I just take out my combo's head and use that instead of buying a whole new head?

I just looked at the Superbooster and it's just the VLE and VPF? Seems like I could use that $100 better by investing it into a full-on pedal preamp. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

As for option 3, that's what I'm currently doing. This post is my effort to source more portable ideas, through the prior experience of other TB users.

4. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Sorry i misunderstood your asking about removing the head from your current combo. That's a fine option as well and would replace my "option " with that.

Yes the superbooster has only those knobs, but the vle is the magic that makes markbass sound good (my 2cents). And the vpf creates a similar EQ curve to what you're dialing in manually.
    If you with a standalone preamp, i would suggest one with speaker emulation so substitute for the vle on the markbass.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  5. Zoom B3 and MS60b both have good models on the Mark Bass amps.

Wfrance3, wmmj and superheavyfunk like this.
  6. superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Ah yes! The B3. I'd forgotten about that thing. It has always intrigued me. I haven't heard of the MS60b... I'll have to take a look on YT.

7. superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Really? Makes me wonder what most folks call "scooped." Cuz when I use that knob, alone, with all the other knobs at 12 o'clock, to me, it's the very definition of the word. I even renamed the knob on my amp. The VLE is called 'Jaco.' lol.

Anyway, I'm cutting only minimally at 800hz and boosting the same amount instead at 360hz. That's not what I'd call scooped and to my ears, it doesn't sound much like the Markbass VPF.

I'm surprised that markbass hasn't yet entered the market with its own pedal preamp. It seems like everybody else has. Kind of a wasted opportunity, no?

Attached Files:

8. superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    ...so nothing, huh? Zoom B3, that's it?

9. gadgetgirl

gadgetgirl Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    East Coast
  10. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    To my ears, having tried similar eq settings with my LMIII the vpf turned a little bit on is similar. You are scooping high mids a little. Like i said, to my ears. Maybe try messing with the two filter knobs with the others at noon and see if you can get enough useful tones for your purposes. If so, then the superbooster might be a good option. If not maybe another product is better.

Other products with amp sim options built in are everywhere. Sans amp's whole line, scrdi from ampeg, multi, effects units like the B3, and many more. See if you can try a few maybe?

11. IIRC Markbass offers a kind of preamp-pedal that has both filters. I bought a LMII shortly after they were released about 12 or 14 years ago and never thought about another bass amp since then. Just bought a CMD 12 combo with the LMIII head a year ago.

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on the zoom deal. I've had both the ms60b and the B3. The markbass model is, in my opinion one of the better sounding ones. Markbass stuff is light, but an ms60b is way lighter. It might be a good idea to do the ms60b and mxrm81 combo. You get a nice transparent di with sweepable mid, and you can put all the zoom stuff behind it. It's digital, so it won't be as perfect but it's not bad. I've use the m81 in combo with the cheaper zoom pedal, the b10n and results aren't bad.

Hope this helps!