1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Little Mark 800 - not tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Hey there, Talkbass!

I needed a smaller lighter amp head and went into my local Guitar Center and played a Little Mark 800 Tube. I heard no discernable difference between the tube and SS side and really liked what I heard. So, I found a reasonable deal here from a seemingly reputable seller on a Little Mark 800 (without Tube) and bought it. Now I'm a little worried ... Is this the same amp in the solid state side? I hope so. I can't seem to find much about it anywhere. I'll be running it through two Hartke 210 hydrives.

2. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    It should be the same. I've read in other threads that because the tube is a "mini-tube" it doesn't sound much different from the plain solid state head. I'm upgrading soon to a 800 from the Little Mark III which has done me great for about 3 years. I've also read that the Little Mark III is actually a small A/B power amp where the 800 is a D class. Hope it doesn't affect the tone too much.

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Got it a while back (this thread has aged a little) and it is awesome. AWE. SOME. Very happy with my choice.

4. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    Update: The 800 is louder for sure, but doesn't have the same smoothness of the Little Mark III, and the input gain is WAY more sensitive. I've now read many threads about this and wish I'd never made the switch. Yes, the Tube 800 has a good tone, but very different.

5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    As a follow up ... This has been my main rig (with the two Hydrive 210s) since February and I have never been happier with an amp.