1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Little Mark II and a 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I own a Little Mark II and I need to get a nice size cab for it. Right now I've got a Schroeder Mini112 Light and I want to get a large size cab. I'm thinking of a 4 ohm 4x10 cab. Maybe a Harkte 410. I'm looking for any opinions from people if there is something wrong with what I'm doing.

Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Nothing wrong at all with what you are doing. I've found that the LMII works pretty well with an Epifani UL410, and slightly less so with a Bergantino AE410 (but still very well). The Epi sounds bigger down low and a little more sparkly up top, while the Berg sounds a little more punchy and assertive. You can scoop the LMII with the Berg and still cut through a mix nicely based on the voicing of that cab.

I also have a Markbass F1, which I have played through backline SWR Goliath and Eden 410 cabs in addition to the Bergantino. The SWR and Eden both sounded big and scooped, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the Eden pairing.

As a value choice, I used to run my LMII through an Avatar 410 Neo. I went to the Berg, which I use now, directly from the Avatar. To be frank, the Berg sounds a little better but not three times as good, to keep up with the price differential. With my F1, the Berg and the Avatar sound more similar than different, and much more similar that the Berg versus either the Eden or Epifani cabs.

Of course, this is all using my ears, my basses, and my fingers.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. I upsized my rig because I couldn't deal with the small rig anymore. Did a gig last week with a guy who used one of those Schroeders and a Walter Woods head. Sounded good but just didn't have the presence of tone a big cab has.

4. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I absolutely LOVE my LM II with my Ampeg SVT-410 HLF. Seriously...I've been playing for a lot of years and this is just an awesome set up. I couldn't be happier! Try it.

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    What about ohms? Would 8 ohms work as well as a 4 ohm Cab?

6. Given that most 410's can actually used the increased wattage, and also given the 'moderate' power rating of the LMII and other amps of its class, you are MUCH better off getting a 4ohm 410 if you know you will always use the 410 as a stand-alone solution (i.e., not add another cab).

I've never had ANY problems with volume with my relatively high SPL 4ohm 410's (Bergantino AE410 and Epifani410UL) and my LMII.

The 4ohm 410 won't be massively louder than the 8ohm version, but it will be noticably more open and smooth sounding when pushed (especially with the LMII) and will also reach a moderately higher absolute volume level (at least a couple DB of additional clean, wide, pure volume) which sometimes can be the difference between 'just loud enough' and 'not quite there'.

You REALLY notice the 8ohm/4ohm difference with a large cab like a 410 and the LMII when slapping or digging in... much less compressed, better low end, nicer smoother treble response at those peak transients to my ear.
    IMO and IME.

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thanks for all the information. Sounds to me like I'd do alright if I pair my Mini12 with an 8 ohm impedence with another cabinet of 8 Ohm impedence. Like a nice 410 cab.

8. It's usually better to pair a cab with another identical one (for a lot of reasons). A second Mini12 will give you much more low end and volume.

Pairing a small 8ohm 112 with a large 8ohm 410 usually doesn't make a lot of sense, since the little 112 will be getting as much power as that big 410.

If you dig the sound of your 112, but just need a bit more volume and low end, I would recommend getting a second one.

If you want a lot more volume and a LOT more low end, I would recommend a 4ohm relatively high SPL 410 to use as a stand-alone.

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Interesting post. I'm not sure from reading it, but which amp do you like best with which cab from your above list?

10. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass

JimmyM, I don't mean to highjack the post, but what cab do you use your Little Mark II with?

To the OP, I would vote against the Hartke, the aluminum drivers just don't do it for me personally. And that is based on owning them years ago.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Oh, no question - F1/AE410 as a gig rig. That was a rambling post, and not entirely about the F1, so I didn't bother to say it that clearly.

That said, if I were considering a miked studio rig, I might lead towards the LMII/UL410, which sounds a little "sweeter" to my ears. Actually, I still think the EA iAmp 800 I used to have was the best sounding amp ever, so I would probably use that in the studio with a UL410 if I still had either. The 800 just wasn't aggressive enough for the situation I was in at the time.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Ah, ok. Thanks. :)

13. If you want to hear something quite amazing, try an SD800 with the AE410. That SD800 is a bit like the iAmp800... it's a little fussy with cab match-ups. But man, with the AE410's tight, aggressive, punchy inherent tone, the very powerful, deep, wide SD800 with all that power really opens up the AE410 in both the lows and upper treble (although you do have to cut some upper mids).

I might take the plunge on the new LM800tube when it is released specifically to match with the AE410 (just for the heck of it!), although I totally dig the F1/AE410 match-up and it's plenty loud for what I need.

Sorry to the OP for the OT!

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Like KJung said: you'll be better off going with a single, large, 4 ohm cab, than trying to pair an 8 ohm 410 with your 112.

A good 4 ohm 410 or 212 should make you a happy guy. Personally, I thought that the Aguilar GS212 paired very nicely with the LMII.

15. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Just to muddy the waters a bit, I did run my LMII with a GK 410. I did a side by side comparison with the EA CXL112 paired with the EA Wizzy112. The two 12's actually sounded bigger...plus both speakers together were lighter than the 410and took up less space on stage.

16. +1 Every 410 is not created equal, and the two different GK410's I've played (an older ceramic model and the newer neo model) were a bit thin sounding to me. There also might have been an impedance issue if the GK410 was 8ohm.

17. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Hold on, now that I think about it, that GK410 was 8ohms. Both EA112's together run at 4ohms. That may have been the difference, maybe...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't use it much anymore, but when I do, I use a B-15 extension cab.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000

20. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    Thanks for the reply, bet it sounds good.