1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass Little Mark II as a PA style rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I tried out a sterling bass(which im going to get) through a markbass little mark II and im impressed. I think the cab i was using was a markbass 2x10. Currently im using my ip310 as my rig and i like it alot but the weight scares me for use in the future. I run alot of effects, different basses, keyboards, synths, and occassionaly my saxophone through the ip. i was wondering if the markbass would handle well with my set-up or if its just suited for bass mainly.

second part to this question probably will get many answers but what cab would be the ideal companion to the markbass if i go that route?

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I have no personal experience, but I've heard a couple of people us the LMII as a keyboard amp and like it alot.

3. Maybe look at something like a Billfitzmaurice design cab to pair with the LMII--that would probably work well for a variety of instruments.

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    those look pretty sweet but im not really a diy guy when it comes to cabs

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I agree the larger IP's are quite a hefty piece of gear.

Here's a couple of ideas. Assuming you have a multi channel preamp driving the IP310 (since you are using multiple inputs into your system), if you don't need the thunderous volume of the IP310, you might try the IP112, which is quite impressive for its size (assuming you like the Berg tone signature). You could also add the EX112 extension for larger gigs. That gets the total weight back up there, but it's two pieces, so much better.

If you still need the big volume, and again, assuming you have a multichannel preamp, you could buy a lightweight power amp like a Stewart 2.1 and possibly use an Accugroove Whappo Jr. It's large and loud, but relatively lightweight, and it's 3 way design keeps you in the 'psuedo PA cab' sort of thing.

Regarding the LMII, while it's quite transparant sounding, it is a single channel all in one bass head. That's not really optimal. You could insert a multichannel mixer into the effects return, and it would work fine, but then you would be underutilizing the nice single channel pre. If you decide to go that route, the LMII/Epifani310UL is a loud but very lightweight rig that is quite even sounding and loud enough for even most large gigs.

IMO.

6. Askia

Askia

Feb 24, 2006
    we played concert, the keyboard player went to the other channel of my LMK. He was smiling constantly!
    :D

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    right now im just using a mackie cr-1604 mixer for all my imputs and from that to my effects to my countryman di to the ip310. i do like the sound, but the weight definitly concerns me. do you think that the markbass lmII and the epifani would be clear enough for my situation?

8. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love my LMII but I read what you want to do and I don't see it being a good choice. The IP310 is twice the power of the LMII so you have a lot of head room for multiple instruments. BTW I run my LMII with the Epi 310 and love it.

I would switch to the IP112 and EX112. That would give you small size and flexibility of adding the second cab when you need more volume.