1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Little Mark II comments?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Sep 28, 2006.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    There was a nice recent review that compared this unit well against the Thunderfunk (TF slightly favored), which probably caught a lot of people's attention given that it's half the weight and cost.

So...it's ugly. :) (see signature)

[​IMG]

I can certainly live with that. But I'd like to hear more opinions, especially from our European friends who've had access to these longer.

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have been plaing a SA450 for the last 6 months its basicaly the same but with more EQ (that i dont use) and bigger but the sound is the same.
    I use it with my 1210 and its the loudest rig i have ever used (ok, not used that many) but i now feel confident that i can manage any gig my bands do. Because of the 1210's tone its hard for me to say what the MB sounds like but i can tell you its clean, solid and the EQ works. most people that own them tend to use the two filters more than the EQ as far as i can tell. i got the SA450 as it has a lot more mid tone control and the plan was to use it to tame the 1210's mid bump but so far i havent needed it.
    I have even had my guitarists telling me im too loud. cant get any better than that.
    I agree, they are ugly. i even think they look cheap. in fact when i was looking for a new amp last year the guy in the shop showed me a LMII and i just dissmissed it on its looks and went for a ABM head.two months later i traded the ABM for the SA450 and my sound got a lot cleaner.
    The MB amps are knowen to be quite natural sounding. they let the tone of the bass come through (as long as the cab doesnt colour it too much like mine does).
    I did ply my SA450 through a Peavy 4x10 and was amazed how loud it was and very clear sounding but this was just in rehearsals and so cant comment how it would sound at a gig.
    Hope this helps. im not very good with descriptions. i know what i mean but others get confused ;-)

3. Hello there..i'm italian..and markbass is an italian company..so it's long time thei products are around here...i can say that those are wonderful amps and are choice of a lot of musicians , i've tried the old series ( the yellow one) and they was great amp and cabs..still not tried the orange series..but from what i've heard around they are great...so go for it!! :)

4. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    my SD800 is very formidable indeed. So loud, yet so clear. I can dial in whatever mids I need to cut through any mix so easily and it just does the job done so comfortably.

5. Cichon

Cichon

Sep 29, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Mark Bass is the way to go, believe me!
    I own the Little Mark II and it sounds great.
    Looks don't matter for me but i don't think it's ugly.

6. cacio

cacio

Apr 24, 2005
    Italy
    I had the old s450 and i sell it to buy the new little mark.
    It has very much power,maybe too much for me.
    Infact i must sell my mb 4x10 too,i was always too loud,and i bought an epi1x12.
    The sound is very full in the lower freq,but remain clean.
    For me ears is more clean than a eden.
    I never use the semi-parametric eq so i don't miss this kind of eq in my head.
    On the other side i use the filters:the vle with my p with flats for a double bass sound and the vpf with my j for a more modern sounds.
    With its bag is one of the most transportable heads i ever seen,and surely at the lower price.
    here in italy Markbass has a great customer service,and that's important to me.In the other countries i don't know...

7. I would not say it is ugly, but if definitely attrats the public eye`s attention with their cabinets ! anyway, I have several comments on the look on my 410HF Markbass cabinet, and all of them were positive. I personnally like the look, but what I dig even more is the Tone I get from these little machines !!!

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I think the heads and cabs look much better in a gig situation under lights than they do in daylight in a shop.

People used to tell me my old Eden looked cheap and had a home made look !

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think Eden amps look like a "Radio Shack" style home electronics project myself.

But I can live with that too. :)

I had an Ampeg SVT3 pro that I thought looked pretty good, but that's about all I could say bout it :eyebrow:

10. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Currently doing marketing and artist relations work for Xvive, and product videos for Markbass
    You might be interested to check out a gallery of pictures of Markbass amps in live situations.

http://www.markbass.it/photogallery.php?lingua=en

Things look different from afar... At the end of the day, the "look" is subjective. But I think it's helpful to keep the audience perspective in mind.

Cheers,
    Peter

11. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool, thanks Peter. Well, it's certainly a distinctive line of gear. ;)

Looks are subjective, and I really don't care much and the listening audience probably cares even less. It's just one of the only data points I have for the moment.

It's certainly not as important to me, for example, as having a rep. from the company spending time on talkbass answering questions about the product line. :bassist:

12. Peter Murray

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Currently doing marketing and artist relations work for Xvive, and product videos for Markbass
    Pleasure to be here! And very educational I might add.

Hope you get to play through a Markbass rig soon.

Cheers,
    Peter

13. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I've had my Little Mark 2 which I play through Traveller 102P for about a month.
    I've only done one gig with it and about half a dozen practices.

Over i'm very impressed with the head, its super small and light which I'm sure you know. It is very loud and powerful with lots of head room. Even turning the gain knob almost all the way and adding some bass boost it hardly lit the clip light.

Like everyone else has said it is very flat and natural sounding. While the EQ is nice and subtle like I enjoy I usually just leave EQ flat and just adjust the two filters to my taste.

I find the VLE filter very very useful and to my ears it doesn't just sound like the tone knob on my bass. The mid scooping filter is nice to to dial in just a bit, sounds a bit better than the eden enhance filters that I have used in the past. Sounds more like it just opens of the sound of your bass instead of draining the life away from it. IMMO of course.

Hope this helps.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    I don't think that it's ugly.

:D

Joe.

15. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I got to check out a lot of Markbass products at the SF GC today. Overall, a pretty impressive line of products.

I didn't spend enough time with anything but the Little Mark II to have a well-formed opinion, but all the products look interesting and reasonably priced. The couple of cabinets I heard sounded deep and full, although not "crispy hifi."

So the LM-II:

The size and weight are nothing short of amazing. It's one thing to read that it weighs 6 pounds, and it's another to actually pick it up in your hands. Whoa.

The box seems solid enough and the knobs are good quality. Everything is logically laid out. I tested it with an Aggie 4x10 and the Markbass 6x10. It had no trouble driving either. Plenty loud. It was hard to hear it really well in GC wank-fest hell, but to my ears it sounded like a very neutral and natural sounding amp with plenty of power.

I came very close to buying one to A/B with my Ashdown ABM - and I'd return it if it didn't stand up. I figured $599 and a 30 day money back guarantee and I couldn't go wrong. However, for reasons not entirely clear, GC makes you buy the 2 year "protection plan" with all MB gear, and by the time tax was thrown on top, I was looking at $739. Still seems quite reasonable, but it was enough to make me pause and consider for a couple days (I'm still fighting off IP-112 GAS).

The LM-II is a pretty special piece of gear. I can't think of anything that even comes close to what it offers in terms of the combination of weight, power, and price.

16. I have the older Little Mark head. heve been playnig it for 1 year. Great, lightweight, good sounding, loud head.

But on a side by side comparison with a Hevos amp and and Aguilar AG500, those other amps sounded better (but will cost 2 or 3 times more).

For the money (and weight) though, Markbass is the best.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The older Littlemark doesn't hold a candle to the new version II. You should try to get your hands on the newer one to try.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Wally, I know that this is a Markbass thread...but if you're even considering an IP112 than that's the route I'd go. I love my LMKII but I fully admit that it doesn't hold a candle to the IP's. I'm happy with my Littlemark but the couple of times I compared it next to an IP112, to using the LMKII with one or two Berg 112's, there was just no comparison. They're two completely different animals. As long as you don't do a comparison you won't know what you're missing though, really. I'm very, very happy with my littlemark and my two Berg 112's. I'd be exstatic though on a nightly basis if I had an IP112.

19. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Hey CaptainWally, did they have any MB combos in the SF GC? I'll be in the Bay Area for work and would like to check out the Mini and Micro Marks while I'm down there.

20. Peter Murray

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Markbass gear is at the San Francisco GC, but it may be a while before the Micromark is introduced to the US.
    The initial selection for the US includes the mini 121P combo and the CMD 102P combo.
    I will keep you posted on the Micromark.

Cheers,
    peter

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021