1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Little Mark III Tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orjpap, Oct 27, 2013.

1. orjpap

orjpap

Aug 4, 2010
    Hello fellow bassists,

Has anyone of you played the Markbass Little Mark III Tube amp?

I'm writing here because the only video I could find of a demonstration of it was in German.

Any thoughts on the amp?

2. Mark bass is really good stuff. Powerful, lite, and sound great.

3. The LMIII non-tube is a better sounding amp IME/IMO.

4. orjpap

orjpap

Aug 4, 2010
    Well, I'm playing an American Fender jazz bass, and I've played it through a little mark III non-tube and it sounds astonishing.

I use overdriven bass quite often though so that's why I thought the tube pre-amps might give me a more "musical" distortion.

5. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I own a LM tube 800, and to be honest, I can't detect a discernible difference between the tube and ss, save that the tube takes a few seconds to warm up after turning it on. I'm not sure how that will translate to using OD/Distortion. I prefer the SS, and if that sounds good to you, why not save a few bucks?

6. I play a MIM Jazz 5 and the one small pre tube really did not work for me as hard as I tried. It is not what you think it is. ;)

7. I actually hear a big difference between the SS and "tube". The tube helped to take some "honk" out of the MB cabs but then it was more sterile sounding than the SS side. I could make it "work" but am very happy it belongs to our keyboardist NOT me. The LM III non-tube sounded much better "to me".

8. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I'm using a Schroeder Mini 12+ cab. I was thinking along the same lines in that this amp might tone down an otherwise mid cannon, but I'm just not getting that. Either way, I'm happy with the SS side.

9. Maybe it is differences in that non-field serviceable tube between amps? I definitely prefered the SS side's sound (with different cabs).