Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Markbass Little Mark vs. Eden WT (A/B-comparison wanted)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evertalbers, Oct 9, 2005.

1. I am thinking about switching from my current Eden WT 300 to a Markbass Little Mark F1. I have played both, but not on comparable speakers. Have you ever had the opportunity to do an A/B comparison of a Little Mark versus a (any) WT? Double bass tests would be even better!

My own impression so far: The Markbass has more headroom and dynamycs (what do you expect, 300W vs. 450W), less amp noise, but more fan noise, a more upfront sound. Would you agree with this?

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Several people have mentioned the Markbass fan noise. I don't hear it all. Not sure what the issue is.

3. I know the fan noise issue has been covered in the new version, but I'm thinking about buying the old version.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    my vote is for mark bass
    hands down

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Just came back from a visit to the central music stores of Greece. Last time I had played a couple of Ampegs, a GK, an Ashdown and a H&H and this time I played two MarkBass heads and Eden WT550. I couldn't A/B them because they were in different stores w/ different cabs.

I tried the MarkBass heads with one 210 and one 112 markbass cab. First one was the Little Mark II. It was nice, but not what I was looking for. I agree with what has been said, that it sounds like it takes the sound of your bass and just raise the volume. Great head for 600 euros, but I can't say I'm impressed overall.

Next was an older (silver) markbass model, a T501 or sth. I think this one has a tube preamp and it shows, the sound was much warmer than the little mark. Nice head, but without the portability of the little mark and with twice the price.

Then I went to the other store and tried the Eden WT-550. I had made my decision within the first two minutes. Flat, the amp was close enough to the sound in my head. The eq possibilities seem to be ENDLESS. Within seconds the guy at the store took me from a vintage sound to a classic trace elliot sound with a couple of twists in the semi-parametric eq. I'm pretty sure I can find exactly the tone I'm looking for with this thing. I also got a pretty good deal on it as it was a demo piece, 1225 euro instead of 1500 new. I didn't have the money w/ me so I'll order it and have in a week or so. Now all that I need is a Schro cab to go with it...

Extra special thanks to KJung who was INCREDIBLY helpful with all my head and cab questions. Cheers man.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's so funny that the Americans seem to be flipping for the LMII, but the European players all seem pretty unimpressed...I can't tell whether or not it's just the euro fascination with U.S. gear at work. I can't wait until these things really come stateside. I'm still waiting on Dave at Clubbass.ca to let me know whether the latest batch of LMII's are in so I can find out.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    its probably just G.A.S....

8. ^^ Stuff that is not available or very expensive in a country (like: the Glockenklang amps and cabs in the USA, or Epifani cabs in the EU) become desirable, and 'mythical'.

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    :D
    I was about to order a TFB, but seeing that the wt fits my needs (and the good price) I didn't risk it. I still want a Schroeder cab because of the raving reviews here, but I'm starting to think that I shouldn't spend 1000+euro on sth I haven't tried..