1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MarkBass LM 2 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    In fiddling with my new MarkBass 2, I plugged in my reverend 4 string jazz bass and the head into a small 10 inch Raezer's Edge cabinet. When I turned both pick ups on and moved the VLE knob to the middle or more to the left, I had a real bad hum noise. I could tune it out with the knobs, but the best sound actually had it where there was the hum.

Any idea what may be happening here?

2. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Does the hum go away when you touch the strings or the bridge? It could be a grounding issue on the bass or a bad cable.

3. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    It does not go away when I touch strings or the bridge. It worsens when I switch to both picks ups. It's static hum. I can tune it out by fiddling with the knobs, but it seems that the VLE Knob and where it is with the other knobs, brings the hum.

The cord should be OK. Not sure about the speaker connecting cord, but my instrument cord should be OK.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not typical of my experience. Try another bass, try different cables, etc. If that doesn't work, take it back and try to get another one.

5. Remember, the VLE is 'flat' when turned off. It is a passive treble roll-off control, so the more it's on, the less treble, and eventually upper mids, being pumped through your system. That's why your noise issue gets worse as you reduce the impact of that filter by turning it toward the 'off' position.

To evaluate what is going on, you should set the amp 'flat'... both filters 'off' and the four tone controls at noon. Since the LMII is very quiet, you should hear no noise (other than the typical very mild hiss when the amp is cranked).

My guess is, you have a bad cord or something wrong with your bass. However, if you eliminate the bass and cord (both speaker and instrument cable) as possibilities, then you need to swap out the LMII for a new one.

The only way to find out what is going on is either playing your bass through another amp, or another bass through the LMII.

6. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    After a test, it appears to be my bass. It's a reverend 4 string. When I put the pick up switch to the middle position, and turn the pick up-tone knob up with the volume, I get the buzz or hum. When I turn the pick up switch up or down, it goes away. So, I think in the middle position, both picks ups are on, not sure.

Any suggestions on what I should do since I don't work on basses? What would I tell a tech?

7. You might want to post your question in the Reverend mega thread on the bass side. Lot's of Reverend owners who should be able to help you out.

8. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I think I just have dirty power....they are single coil so I am not sure I can do anything to fix it. I will try changing to a different outlet