1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass LM2 with a tube pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diddii, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I own a Markbass Little-mark II but i don't want to lose its power, and i don't like the EQ-section on that unit.
    Can i buy a tube pre-amp (such as SVP-CL) and use it ?
    How do i connect with the LM2? (into effect send/return?)
    What tube pre-amps do you recommand?

2. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Being that the LMII is small, I think it makes sense to get a small tube preamp. I'd recommend the Avalon U5. You can plug it into the front end or the effects return.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    EBS Valvedrive, works either in front/series or via the fx loop.

4. Cichon

Cichon

Sep 29, 2006
    The Netherlands
    The Avalon is not a tubepreamp, it's solid state.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    And the comment was made that it is "small" - IMO it is a pretty big unit in comparison to the LMII. The front profile is small, but it is seriously deep. ;) About 12" or something.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I ran my Alembic F2-B into the FX return of my SA450 for some time.
    As FX loop is parallel you could use the EQ on the amp still.
    I have now gone back to the head on its' own
    It did work fine and did warm the sound

7. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    I know its not a tube pre,but I use a Sadowsky stomp pre on the front end of my LMII.I love it.

8. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    I bought the ART Tube MP for $40 on the advice of a local producer here. He was doing the vocals from one of the Canadian Idol finalists on an ART MPA Gold preamp. The artist was very nice and let me hear the dry vocals, and spoke highly of all the ART products.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=1&cat=1&type=79

I bought it for vocals, as when I use my bass, I always go DI when recording, or straight into my Ashdown Superfly when playing live. Then my guitarist came over, and we thought his Black Box M audio tone was a little harsh going DI. He tried the Tube MP and we looked at each other with a huge grin. It sound amazing. Warms the tone, nice harmonic overdrive if you need it. I've used it ever since. This box, is the best piece of gear I've bought for under $40. Considering that's how much a set of string costs I am simply amazed. and wait until you plug a mic into it!

My local music shop knows me and when I pulled the stock tube out and showed it to him told me what amps use the same 12ax7 gain tube, and it was a huge list that included the Traynor and
    Ampeg Rocket 200R...they look identical he said.

PS Don't be fooled by the pricing structure of replacement tubes. The bias is set for the included tube, and I've paid more than $50 for a tube that sounded worse than the included one. (Slovak and Russians sound different admittedly, but were actually noiser and more muted on the highs. Groove Tube rebrands the same stock Chinese MP tube and sells them for around $12. That's the one to get.

This is a great way to see if the tube preamp sound is for you, and if it isn't...then you have an excellent preamp for vocals.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Or you might want to try the MB R500.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I would suggest the Sadowsky as well, or even the SansAmp. I have not had the problem of getting the tone out of my LMII that I want, but I know that "special" tone for each player is very subjective. I tried running my Alembic F1X into the effects return of the LMII, but quite honestly the Sansamp came pretty close when I A-B'd them. Especially in a live situation, when competing with all the other instrument volume, not enough difference to justify me lugging a rack around with me. Just my .02 worth.

11. From your influences, I assume what you mean by 'tube preamp' is that you want the ability to dial in some distortion into your tone (the LMII is very clean). I know a few TBers who run a Sans Amp bass driver between the bass and amp. It allows you to dial in some pretty impressive grit and grind, and still use the very powerful EQ section of the LMII. The Bass Driver will also fit in your gig bag... it's not tube, but the tube emulation is very good, and it's voiced for bass.

IMO!

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    It sounds to me like you want a small amp with a different sound. What's the point of getting one of those tiny amps if you have to carry a second piece of equipment with it just to get the sound and tonal shaping ability you want? Then again, to each his own :cool:

13. It's always better to me to get an amp that has the inherent tone that you want. However, sometimes you don't know what you want until after you try the piece of gear over a relatively long time period, and swapping out one amp for the another is usually an expensive proposition.

Using a small pre in front of the amp to get some dirt should work quite well, and a small unit like a Sans Amp Bass Driver is as small as most tuners.

14. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I personnaly use the Behringer BDI21 as a preamp / tube simulator with my LMK11. All I can say it is a gret combination for 35$ !!!!! Works really well together along with the 104HF markbass cabinet.

15. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I agree. But buying a second piece of gear for150-200 dollars would be no more expensive than selling the LM2 and getting another light amp with the money (unless you want an amp in the 750+ range). Not to mention you don't have to consider another power cord to plug in, or another battery to be aware of, or another piece of gear to have tweaked right in the signal chain (which is NEVER fun when you're in a hurry). Just something to conisder :bassist:

16. jdwinva

jdwinva

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Thow a Demeter Tube DI in fromt of the LMII and you have instant Tubey Goodness.

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It's called getting a Mesa Walkabout or a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 :) :bag:

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    +1 Get what is closest to your tone from the git go.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I put an inexpensive PreSonus TubePre in front of my GK amp, and it was a beautiful thing. And it IS small... Great sound, warms the SS out of it... :D

Of course in my case it did give me GAS for an amp with a tube front end, so I have my Genz-Benz NeoPak on it's way to me...

20. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I don't know if they still make them, but I used to have a thing called a RAT that was made for bass. The thing was awesome and just plugged between the bass and the amp and it wasn't much bigger than a tuner.