1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass LM3 vs LM800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watchmoresuns, Aug 15, 2012.

1. watchmoresuns

watchmoresuns

Aug 28, 2009
    I want to pick up a MB traveler 102 and pair it with a 151HR, my question is what head is the best to throw on top of it? Will I be under powering with the 500 watts the LM3 has to offer? Overpowering the cabs with the 800 watts the LM800 puts out? Both cabs are rated at 400 watts, so would the 800 sufficiently power both cabs at 400 a piece?

2. I think either. I don't think you'd be under powering it with the 500w lm3. The 800 could probly blow them both, but has a volume control of course :)

3. Check out the stickies at the top of the forum. There is a ton of information there about powering speakers, the way they can be deceptively rated, and the right way to pair and wire them.

As an example if your speakers are sitting unused right now are you not under powering them?

That said, even if your cabs could use all the power the LM800 puts out (they cant, you will be able to over power them LM3), the volume difference between 500 and 800 watts is ~2 dB. Hardly a noticeable gain, if the speakers could take the power.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You CAN blow them with the LMIII whenever a spike goes through. At the least they can run out of excursion. If that happens too much they can lose their springiness. Also, you'd be better with matching cabs.

I run two Traveler 151P cabs with my LMIII head, and I never give them the full 500w. If I need to be much louder I'll need protection for sure. I'd like the headroom the 800 offers, though.

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If you like the 800 , get it. never hurts to have more power.
    however, i have never been unhappy with my 500watt Markbass heads. they are LOUD!

6. rollin$tone

rollin$tone Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I own both, the LMIII and the LM800 tube. I use the LMIII in the practice room and the 800 for gigs. I also have the MB210 and the 151HR. I love it all. The two amps have totally different sound/ features, but either is great for gigging. I've never had to crank either one up to 100%, as they are very efficient. I can say that the 800 has ample power and also offers a tuning mute that is very handy at gigs, and can double for a standby switch. If I were to only have one, it would be the LM800. Also, I would invest in the LM amp bag! That's a very nice accessory!