1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass LMII + Behringer XENYX 1202FX Mixer = PA amp tonight!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 21, 2011.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Since I'm a cheap bastard I threw together a PA amp for $125 (for the mixer).

Knowing that the LMII is relatively flat and warm when set dead flat, filters off, I am going to plug the mixer directly into the front input. At this point I dont have alot of eq options (the mixer has 3 eq knobs) so I might use the high-mid on the LMII to cut a bit at 800hz if needed.

The mixer is pretty cool in that it has 99 built in digital effects... most of those I wont use but I will dial in some reverb.

Anyway, the room is not too big at 40 x 60 feet with about 50 people attending (private party) so I think the 2 Yorkville YX12 monitors on stands will be fine.

I got the idea to use the LMII + mixer from a post a couple years ago on TB, where the TBer had done the same thing with good results. I did test it at a rehearsal and it sounded pretty good. This will be the first time using it at a gig tonite so it should be interesting!

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds good.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have run guitar through the fx return of an F1 before -- worked fine. Sure the front end eq would be fine too.

4. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Just so you know, the effects return on the F1 is before the EQ section (just as it is on the Little Mark series).

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well there ya go :) I haven't owned the F1 for some time so no worries either way.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm using the same PA setup again tonite.

Quick question: since the LMII is mono I assume then that the vocals coming out of the PA would be mono as well?

Stereo would be better of course.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes it will be mono, if the mixer has pan pots put them in the middle.

May want to run the mixer into the effect return or if plugging in the front end just watch the levels. You're preamping a preamp that way. Too hot a signal going into the bass head and then it's pre boosting it some more could hurt something if you're not careful with the levels.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I occasionally use my LM II to power a couple of Yamaha Club series stage monitors for low SPL gigs. Works perfectly and I do not need to bring a dedicated EQ for monitors. The LM II tone controls work fine for my needs and the Yammies do not need much EQ anyway.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Looks like I'm going to have to pony up for a proper poweramp then.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You can use your bass amp just plug into the effects return or watch input levels if going in the front.

I screwed up a poweramp once from what I suspect was to hot of input levels. Was using a using a tubemp to split the vocal into 2 boards, one recorded via hardwire, one for live sound in the room so the poweramp running the room system had pre + pre in front of it.

Burning resistors can really stink. :)

I waa also using the gain boost button on the mp so I could keep the knobs lower to keep the noise out but apparently not low enough.

Plugging a mixer into the effects return is the same as plugging into a regular poweramp....if plugging in the front just watch levels everywhere along the way.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPR1600/

Under 7 pounds, 300 bucks and powerful enough for you for similar gigs or slightly larger... 1600w bridged @ 4 ohms, etc, or down to 2ohms on each side at 800w.

And you could also use it for your bass rig on occasion ;)

The input sensitivity is high enough that the LMII will drive it.

12. ok i know its fasionable to bag on behringers un-reliability but i had the exact same mixing desk and it went 2 weeks ago. i wouldent have been so angry but the shop i brought it from refused to take it back.

but i hope yours lasts

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Sorry to hear that. I had an older version of this mixer a few years back and it last quite awhile. The power cord input finally gave out, but I was not being as gentle as I should have been.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for pointing this one out to me BS.

Looks like a very good candidate.

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just got back from the gig using the LMII + Mixer PA amp and again it worked very well. I also used an external EQ pedal for a little more tweak ability. Even though it was mono it sounded great and it was definitely plenty loud.

Still ultimately the LMII will not work out for this setup in the long run, because I need to run some stage monitors as well as monitors for the audience. Thus, I need something that does 2 ohms and the LMII only does 4 ohms.

The carvin bx500 does do 2 ohms though...

Ultimately its probably best to just get the peavey IPR 1600 that Burning Skies mentioned.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Depending on your dollars, remember that for 400, the next bump up, the IPR 3000 would also be a great PA amp.

Stereo, with 2ohms per side at 1500w, (1000w@4ohms, 500w@8ohms, and 3000w bridged at 4ohms) would handle plenty different sized gigs.

I've been using my IPR for bass duty for about 4 months now and it's been solid, and conveniently light.

17. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Not really.